Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop fan stopped

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

I was just using my wife's laptop... The one I recently replaced the screen in after it got run over. The dvd drive was the only thing besides the screen that appeared damaged... I believe it was only run over on that corner, and the fan is on the other side... I'm certain it didn't get run over. Just added info about the laptop, not necessarily relevant.

So, I was thinking it sounded loud like there might be a cd in it... then I remembered there's not dvd drive in there right now... ha. I think the hard drive is a little louder than I recall but I hardly ever use her computer so I could be wrong. It isn't making clicking sounds or anything odd and hasn't shown any symptoms of an issues... I only mention it as it's what prompted me to turn the thing over and look at it. It was a little warm but not overly so.
I noticed, the fan wasn't moving at all. I thought, that can't be good. While looking at it, the fan kicked on, blew out some hot air, the laptop felt cooler, and the fan shut off again.
Googling this issue brings up a LOT of related topics but not necessarily the info I'm looking for.
I am wondering if a fan should be on at ALL times only speeding up as needed... or, is it normal for it to be off when it's not needed? Oddly, I feel like I've asked someone(online or off) about this before but I forget.
Anyway... I just want to make sure something isn't busted. So far everything has been running well lately. I'm just used to my desktop where fans are always moving. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Usually when the CPU/GPU reaches a certain temperature, the fan starts to kick in. You should check the temperatures by using HW Monitor(Download links is on the right hand).

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, check your temp, as for the fan, it just depends on your system. I recently wondered the same thing about my laptop. The fan wasn't on all the time, but it does come on and the temp is fine. If your fan is failing, it's not difficult to replace. If you can replace the screen you can replace the fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users