Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE9 excessively slow.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SlickTrick

SlickTrick

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Good morning.

I am hoping that someone here can help me find the solution to this issue.

System:
eMachine running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 3 G RAM and 500 GB HDD. The HDD is pretty much empty.

Problem:
Internet Explorer is agonizingly slow. It takes ~8 minutes to open CNN or any other random website.

What I have tried:
I have cleaned the system of malware, and I am comfortable that it is clean. I have reset the browser settings to default, deleted history, and cookies. I have uninstalled any and all toolbars from add/remove programs. I installed Firefox, and the 'slowness' does not follow to that browser, so I know that that the issue is isolated to IE. I have tried both the 32bit, and 64 bit IE, and the issue applies to both. I have uninstalled IE9 and the issue follows to IE8. I have reinstalled IE9 to no avail. I have uninstalled the AV (Kaspersky).

I have probably tried a few things that I forgot to write in here, but I am running out of ideas.

I appreciate any input you may have..

EDIT: Update If I add the site CNN to trusted sites, it is lightning fast. So I tried turning off "Protected Mode" it is lightning fast on all sites. Guess I will have to try and figure out what is going on there.

Edited by SlickTrick, 15 October 2012 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ET_Explorer_2012

ET_Explorer_2012

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi, Stick Trick, upgrade IE9 with Google Chrome,, very fast, faster than Mozilla Firefox.
Takes a few seconds to upload a website with Google Chrome compared IE9 and Firefox.

http://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome/3000-2356_4-10881381.html

#3 SlickTrick

SlickTrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

ET_Explorer_2012, I appreciate your response, and it is a viable workaround. However it is not a solution to the underlying issue.

Personally, I use Firefox, on a Linux machine but the computer that I am working on is not mine, and the primary user is very novice. Switching to a different browser would be very stressful for them.

What I am trying to figure out is why having "Protected Mode" enabled which is 'most safe' would be causing IE to take upwards of 8 minutes to load a common web page like CNN. Disabling "Protected Mode" allows the page to load in a few seconds as expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users