Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flashh4

flashh4

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:40 PM

Hope this is ok to post this here. I need to know if reformatting wil get rid of any viruses or trojans that
would be in my system ????? If not then could you give me a name of one that will not be removed ?? NO i am not infected i just need the info !!

Thanks for any info on this subject !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:52 PM

Yes a complete Format & Clean Install will rid you of viruses & your data.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

It depends on what type of reformat you do. To be sure that any malware has been deleted you should use a format that overwrites (aka wipes) the data areas of the hard drive. For standard IDE drives there is a utility in Digital Dolly that has been recommended here. You can find a download link for Digital Dolly in the BC compendium of Recommended Freeware.
(Note DD does not work with SATA drives at present.)
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

BTW a reformat WIPES the hard drive wich meants that there is Zip Zero Nada left on your hard drive that means that Windows is wiped to. So after you do this you have to reinstall EVERYTHING windows and drivers, so be very carefull before attempting this.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

Formating a drive does not destroy the data. It disassoicates the data from file structure. It is like having a library full of books and destorying the card catology. The books are still there, you just have no organized way to find them. Certian programs can rebuild "The card catology" so that the data can be recoverd. With the drive being formatted the OS will not warn you, you are about to overwrite the data. You can still, in theroy recover the data till that porition of the drive is overwritten.

Wiping a drive overwrites every place on the drive. This destroys the data making it very hard to recover. A Quick wipe overwrites the data with one pass. The DoD wipe overwrite, or passes over, 7 times. The Gutman Wipe overwrites the data 35 times. This is Black Helicopter paranoid.

Wiping a drive is like using a piece of carbon paper. The first pass you can read it perfectly. With each addional pass the carbon is harder to read.

Formatting a drive with virus' will not destroy them. If the new OS overwrite them while setting up or writing data to the drive, that will damage or destroy them.

I wipe every drive prior to installing an OS or data. I have know many more that simply format thier drive and reinstalled, never having a problem.
One note. A large hard drive, 40gb+, can take 24 hour + to wipe compared to a format that may that 30 minutes to and hour.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 flashh4

flashh4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

Thanks guys for that info, i'm gonna keep your reponce in my notes!

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users