Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not print to a printer anymore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 moshiachnow

moshiachnow

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

B"H

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit computer which I will call the main PC. An HP LaserJer is directly connected to it, and shows up as the default printer. About a month ago, it stopped responding to print jobs. They show up in the "jobs pending" list, but do not print. If I try to print to that printer from another PC on the network, the document shows up in the pending list, but then says "Error" and will not print either.

If I connect the printer to a different PC, it will print. If I try to print to the printer connected to another PC from the main PC, it will not print. The print spooler is running. There are only restore points from the past week or so, and this started happening over a month ago.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Yosef

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moshiachnow

moshiachnow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

I should add that the option to print to PDF and other similar things works on the main PC. If that information is useful.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hi Yosef

Just a suggestion, but it sounds like your HP printer drivers have got corrupted. Generally this is fairly easy to fix.

1 Download the newest drivers for your printer model and operating system,Win 7, from the HP website and save them somewhere convenient.
2 Uninstall your existing drivers either using the HP uninstaller if it is on your system, or Control panel - Program control - add/remove programs.
3 Install the new drivers.

Printers can be fusy about the driver installation process - it's worth having a look at the manual to get the sequence correct. Some like you to connect and power on the printer before you install the drivers, others insist you install the drivers before connecting the printer. I think HPs fall into the latter group, but check !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users