Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I get wifi on this laptop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blumps

blumps

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

Here is an old laptop my brother gave me. I am wondering if I can get wifi access with this and any card or usb adapter you'd recommend. I just wanna surf the net with it from another room.

SONY VAIO-PCG-962A

CPU: AMD Mobile Duron 800MHz
Memory Type: PC100 100MHz SDRAM
Standard Memory: 64MB, 128MB (removable)
Max Memory: 256MB
Memory Expansion Slots: 2 Sockets
Memory Size: 144 pin
PC Card Slots: Two Type I,II or One Type III PC Card Slot - 16/32-bit CardBus
USB Ports: Two USB 1.1 Compliant Ports
Firewire Ports: One 4-pin IEEE-1394 Firewire / I.Link Port
Card Reader: None
Original Hard Drive(s): 10.0GB, 12.0GB, 15.0GB, 20.0GB, 30.0GB, 40.0GB 4200RPM ATA
Original Optical Drives: 24X CD-ROM , DVD-ROM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Welcome to BP.

The are USB WiFi dongles but you only have 2 USB port if you Google them. They must be suitable for Win98/ME which you don't say which your using I would go for 802.11n rather than 802.11b or 802.11g. Just email all sellers to make sure they guarantee it works with Win9x/ME.

I can't recommend any at my Vista laptop is in built. I'm having trouble finding a PCI WiFi card for my old computer WinME as very few are compatible with Win98/ME.

You might say I should use a USB dongle so I bought a 5 port USB PCI card thats WinME compatible but I plug that in and the computer won't even startup. I unplug it and it starts I plug it in once started and it locks the computer. I've check the BIOS settings and I don't see anything to change. I've had PCI modems and PCI LAN cards plugged in and it starts up ok.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 marklouis1

marklouis1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users