Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Boot My Vista PC Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robs58

Robs58

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Greetings To All!

Background Info:

Am running Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
System Type: 32 bit

Hardware:

Computer Model: HP a1700n
Processor: AMD thlon X2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz

Problem:

I am unable to boot. Previously, I was able to boot successfully. When I now try to boot, I encounter a screen which says the following:

"A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed
incorrectly or damage..."
File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the file

What I have done to attempt to fix the problem as of this writing, is to install
a known good HD into my computer that I can boot from. I then ran the "Malware Bytes" program against the non-bootable drive to check for viruses. The scan came back clean indicating no viruses, etc. I also ran the Recovery/Repair disk but when I ran the Startup Repair option, this still did
not fix the boot problem.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Rob S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Can you boot into the Advanced Boot Options. This is where you have the options such as Repair you computer, Safe Mode,...

If you can, boot into Safe Mode and do a System Restore.

If this doesn't work, try using the Last Known Good Configuration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 NoLuck1000

NoLuck1000

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Malwarebytes is an antimalware not meant to be an anti-virus. You may need to use an anti-virus to scan your PC too.

You may also try to run this from the Command prompt:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

#4 Robs58

Robs58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

dc3:

No, I am not able to boot into the Advanced Boot options.

NoLuck1000:

I perforned all of the following, several times each, and I am still unable to boot and still getting the same error message:

bootrec /fixmbr
" /rebuildbcd
" /fixboot
" /scanos
sfc /scannow

In addition, I booted from a Vista repair disk and performed the "startup repair" option. Unfortunately, am still unable to boot.

I have scanned the HD using the Malware Bytes application, but have not scanned with a regualr Anti-virus program. I am starting to think this could be a registry issue. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Regards,

Rob S.

#5 Robs58

Robs58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

********************************** SOLVED !!!!!!! ***************************

Down below is the COMPLETE solution to fixing this extremely difficult problem! I say extremely difficult because I browsed
through literally *HUNDREDS* of Google links before I found the link which listed the complete solution. I emphasize the
word complete because literally all of the links I visited except the referenced link (down below) only listed the partial
solution and unless you had the complete solution, the problem would literally never get resolved. Specifically, all of the
"partially correct" links would direct you to perform steps 1 and 2 only while omitting the most crucial step - step 3. Here is
the link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasetup/thread/1d87f21e-2bca-4a3c-9dda-e54a1f363e4a

Ultimately, here are the exact steps, ran in the correct sequence order, which fixed my windows
Vista boot problem. One last time - you must run ALL of these steps (1,2 and 3). Only running steps 1 and 2 and then
stopping will NOT fix the boot problem!

Boot from the Windows DVD or a repair CD (you may have to change the first boot device to CD/DVD in the BIOS), answer a few questions, select the Repair option in the bottom left corner and choose:

1. Startup Repair

2. If the above doesn't cure the problem, go back to the Repair Option and this time choose Command prompt, then type these 4 commands (in all instances the capitals are for clarity only):

BOOTREC /FIXMBR and press Enter
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT and press Enter.
BOOTREC /SCANOS and press Enter.
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD and press Enter.

3. If it’s not successful or you receive ‘No operating system found’ or ‘Element not found’ messages, go back to the command Prompt and make the partition active by typing these commands:

DISKPART and press Enter.
LIST DISK and press Enter.
SELECT DISK N and press Enter (N represents the disk you want).
LIST PARTITION and press Enter.
SELECT PARTITION N and press Enter (N represents the partition you want).
ACTIVE and press Enter.
EXIT and press Enter.

Now go back to 1 above and run it again, perhaps run 2 as well. You should now be able to successfully boot your PC.

Regards

Robs58

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

Congrats!Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users