Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC to phone as alternative to exorbitant phone rates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

I am required to use this service called Abtran to schedule something. They charge $2.48 a minute for the phone call using an 800 or 900 number. Can I use PC to phone using their number, to get free or very low rates? I think I have a PC microphone or headset laying around somewhere. Will it work on dial-up? I don't have high speed Internet.

My sound card should work fine, and I have good speakers

Edited by skymaster191, 14 October 2012 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,722 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Have you looked into using Skype? According to Skype it is dial-up compatible. Not sure what the rates are after the first call.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

This sounds like a service that bills through the phone company, similar to 900 numbers. The company that you call has a deal with the phone company to charge you x amount of money for each minute you are connected. The phone company keeps their cut. You are not being charge for the phone call so much as you are being charged for the 'service' you receive from the other end.

The instrument/firmware/software you use to connect on your end will make no difference. The charge will be billed to the calling number.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,722 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for that additional insight, ddeerrff. I had considered it, but couldn't find anything on that possible 'arrangement'. Either in a complaints thread somewhere or in any ad copy. But I agree that it's a possibility.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

I am using a VoIP service for phone. Callcentric.com. As well as Future-Nine.com. They are both very cheap and reliable. Do not use Dial-up you will get very krappy audio with break-ups. You need at least 128K for good fidelity. The better you go with speed and bandwidth. The better you will get in reliability and fidelity.Look at their websites. Amazing prices for Long Distance. As well as a boatload of features thrown in for good measure.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users