Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This file is corrupt and cannot be opened?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SmallIsland94

SmallIsland94

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Hello :) ..this is a long story...
what happened was, at first, I suspected there to be a spyware on my computer (this problem has seemed to resolve itself) but at the time I panicked and called what I thought to be the mcafee helpline from Google search (the first number that came up), but later found it to be something only posing as McAfee called 'GuruAid'. I spoke to a man who got me to put in a code on some sight so that he could remote control my computer. I don't know what he did exactly and it'll sound really vague, but he installed something weird that would apparently make my computer go faster as he said it was slow (I'd NEVER noticed this 'slowness' before..)and he showed me this chart with red crosses on it and he told me that these were viruses that my virus detector didn't pick up. He blamed Microsoft word not starting up properly in the past on viruses. I've never had a problem with word until he tampered with my computer. After he had done whatever he did with my computer, he tried to get me to pay 399 for future protection and when I said I didn't have the money, he didn't seem to understand and started to pressure me saying things like, 'you're doing this at the risk of your computer's safety' and all that. He lowered it to 62 and when I said I couldn't pay this (I'm currently a student) he eventually said that he would return the computer back to its normal state before he tampered with it. But afterwards, I deleted the thing that he installed- I can't remember what it was- and then I found that my Internet explorer had been deleted, along with ALL my files, my pictures, my memories, my word documents (I had 280 page word documents written by hand on it because I'm a creative writing student so this is years of work, I feel I've lost so much and I was in tears) he saw that these things were in constant use and deleted them because I wouldn't pay. I knew something was wrong when he tried to get me to pay.

The problem I reallly need help with is restoring my word documents. My brother has been really kind and attempted to restore Microsoft word, but it's not the same. He has restored the computer back to it's last update a few days ago, but it didn't restore the files. He did file recovery and recovered some files but not the ones that were in frequent use (I had these up when he was on my computer so GuruAid saw them), but I can see them when I search for them and they have this symbol in front "~$e" and when I open it it says, "This file cannot be opened because there are problems with its contents" and then it gives me the option to recover it and it says, "this file is corrupt and cannot be opened"! I really hope something can be done about it, my brother's been trying all day to get everything back to normal and I hope someday GuruAid will be found out because they are conning people and invading people's lives through blackmail! Please, please warn people and raise awareness about them. Is there any way whatsoever that I can get these files back?
Thanks for your time to read this! :) and I'm so sorry it's so long!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hello SmallIslands (anything else we can call you? ). Welcome to BC.

I can't guarantee that we can recover your files, but if you'll stay in touch with us on this forum, we will do our best to help you. This may not be easy, and will take some time.

I appreciate the detail you gave. If there's anything else relevant that you can think of please do tell.

Before we start doing anything, I need you to answer some questions.

• What operating System are you using?
  • How many drives do you have on your computer? If you are unsure, click on the My Computer icon either on your desktop or in the Start Menu. You should see drives like C:, D: listed.
  • Do you have an external drive available to backup files with?

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 SmallIsland94

SmallIsland94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Hiya,
In answer to your questions, I'm using Windows 7, I think I have two drives, C &D, and I do have a drive to back up my files
There's not much else I can think of..
Thanks

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Hello.

At this point, we can't be sure whether your files were deleted, damaged, or simply moved out of sight. Let's try to find out.

Can you tell me the folders(s) on your computer that you stored your files on?

Submit File Sample
It'll be helpful for me to have a few samples of the files in question.

• Open to the Submission Channel.
  • Under Link to topic where this file was requested, input:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic471856.html
  • Click the Browse button. Locate one of the files that you said were corrupted.
  • Under the comments section, say that Panda asked for the submission.
  • Repeat this for a few other files, preferably from different folders.

With Regards,
The Panda

#5 SmallIsland94

SmallIsland94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I usually store them in 'My documents'
Sorry for the late replies, I'm going to submit a file now
Thanks

#6 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hello.

Could you tell me what your brother did to recover your documents? Could you ask him what program, if any he ran?

With Regards,
The Panda

#7 SmallIsland94

SmallIsland94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi, he used Piriform recuva- the free version
Oh and Restoration Version 2.5.14
cheers

Edited by SmallIsland94, 16 October 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#8 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Hello.

Could you ask your brother: Which drive the files he recovered were originally on and which drive he recovered the files on to?

When a large group of files are recovered onto the same drive, some will certainly be lost. This is because as the first files are restored, they may take the space on the disk where the remains later files are, thus permanently destroying the data of the later files.

Files may also be permanently overwritten as you use the disk, therefore please try not to create large files or install programs for the time being.

Did the file you submitted to me originally contain text or images? We can pull text even out of damaged files, but images are much, much harder.

With Regards,
The Panda

#9 SmallIsland94

SmallIsland94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi,
They were originally on the C drive and he did restore them to the same drive :/
and the file I gave you had text in it
thanks

#10 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hello Small Island.

I'm sorry to tell you that we have nowhere to go from here. There is almost no chance that we can get any more usable data back than you already have at this point. As I explained, the files have been overwritten. I hate to be the one to take away your last strands of hope.

There are bad people in the world. I deal with computer programs that people write for the sole purpose of stealing and damaging. The victims are often too trusting, or simply unlucky.

I probably don't need to remind you, but please back up your files, preferably into 3 places.

I can't get you back what you've lost, but I'll give you sometime new. I'm no good author by any means, heck I barely passed my writing proficiency test. I've rarely shared anything I've written, though will share one with you. This is an assignment for English class I did in my last year in high school. Perhaps you've read Alias Grace by Atwood, or Watchmen by Moore? We needed to combine the two somehow, and I came up with this.
http://www.bleepstatic.com/fhost/uploads/1/alias-grace-the-doctor.doc

With Regards,
The Panda

#11 SmallIsland94

SmallIsland94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

It's okay, my brother also thought this just now and thank you so much for your help and time. I guess i'll just have to soldier on and rewrite it, but I don't mind doing that, I like to think that it's better somehow when rewritten :)and I'll count myself lucky that I didn't pay Guruaid any money!
I'll definitely be backing up my files in future! haha
I have heard of Watchmen :)
thanks for this but Word won't allow me to open it.
But thanks again for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users