Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Hangs with new SSD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Leslie

Andrew Leslie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

I recently bought a Samsung SSD 830 Series (128gb) and I installed windows on it.
After about two days, I noticed my download speeds in my file transfer programs went to a creeping halt (4.1kb/s from 1.6mbps).
I figured it had been a glitch so I closed out the program and went to reopen it to find I could not do so.
My IRC client had still been responsive with no issues, my media player (winamp) had no issues (music is on another hard drive), but trying to open any new programs would result in fail.
Even trying to shutdown the computer safely resulted in no response.

It seems to happen when I am streaming music from Pandora (both in Chrome and FireFox) but I have not tried any other streaming services.

Anytime this happens, I have to force a hard reset in which everything is fine, until the issue occurs again.

[Specs]
Motherboard: MSI x58 SLI LE
Ram: 18GB DDR3
CPU: Intel i7 2.87 GHz
Hard Drives: Samsung 830 Series, 3x Seagate HDDs (1TB+)
Video Cards: nVidida GTX 450, nVidia 9500 GT

Could this be a sleep issue on the SDD with it not wanting to wake back up? Anyway to stop this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew Leslie

Andrew Leslie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

It is now happening while my computer is running overnight with just standard downloads running.

Any ideas?

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

I don't know of any specific issues with that drive (doesn't mean there aren't any :) ) but are you running that SSD Magician software that Samsung tries to get you to install with it? Turning that off may help but I'm not sure how easy that is to do. Some of those utilities like that have ways of trying to keep you from stopping them.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users