Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Crashed. Need new or reformat? Replace OS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 batya7

batya7

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Win 7 Home computer crashed. Compaq, CQ5210F, 2-1/2 years old. I pushed a button and wiped out all files and OS; couldn't recover anything, etc. Someone rescued the irreplaceable pix for us and hubby is appeased for now (but I'd also love to have pdf's, doc's, etc.).

OK, I'm guilty, mea culpa, and more than a few months have gone by. NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO?

1) I have the physical hard drive. Should I reformat it (and how do I do that) or buy new HD? Can it be re-used or moreso, should it be reused? How do I know it won't fail again or that it wasn't damaged by my (unremembered) actions?

2) And now that Win 8 is coming out, should I pony up for it or reinstall Win 7? I don't have discs for Win 7 and would need to purchase them anyhow (ouch) unless someone can tell me how to reinstall the software from the manufacturer. No restore discs have been found, either (hubby purchased computer before we were married and hid the discs well).

3) Is it relevant whether computer is 32- or 64-bit? I think it was 64-bit.

4) Are there other things I should be addressing?

Thanks.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

(Clarke's third law) Arthur C. Clarke, English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - 2008), "Profiles of The Future", 1961

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Does this computer boot at all?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 batya7

batya7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

It does not boot.

(Clarke's third law) Arthur C. Clarke, English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - 2008), "Profiles of The Future", 1961

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? This is accomplished by pressing the F8 key right after pressing the power button. If you can there are options we can pursue from there to affect a repair.

As to the hdd, if all of this is attributable to having pressed a key, then I don't think this problem is related to the hdd. I would tend to believe that this problem is software related.

Windows 8 is coming out soon, so yes this could be a solution. If you do decide to go this route, be sure that no matter whether it is OEM or retail you get the installation disk. Personally I would suggest going with the retail version, there are options for repairs that aren't included in a OEM version, such as a repair installation.

If you want to establish whether this computer has a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system go to this site and scroll down to step 5. This is important if you wish to purchase the installation disc from HP to make a repair of your copy of Windows 7.

Edited by dc3, 14 October 2012 - 02:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 batya7

batya7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Safe Mode didn't work. F8, F11, F-infinity didn't work. I'm satisfied I tried all reasonable, 1st-line-of-action options. Bought some recovery discs with general utilities, too, and seller held my hand through the process.

Not sure if you think I can re-use hard drive. Computer I'm working on is XP SP3 (!) and I'm perfectly satisfied with it (except it is slow...). New OS doesn't thrill me. Looks like Win8 will be harder to get used to because it's so much different than previous Windows versions, including the long-awaited Vista (LOL).

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

Bought some recovery discs with general utilities, too, and seller held my hand through the process.

What discs?

Are these Microsoft products or HP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users