Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP repair problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Holding

Andrew Holding

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

HI

I have a dell dimension e520 that developed many problems.
I decided to use my 're-installation disc' to repair my installation of xp - but can't complete the repair.
The first part of the repair runs OK with files copied from the disc, then shutdown to install but when reboots to install I have a message 'The file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD is needed'
Type the path where the file is located - but despite typing in E:\i386\asms - the file nothing happens - it is either the wrong path - or the CD drive is not being recognised? If I cancel the system shuts down and reboots to the same place - so I'm stuck - I can't go forward and cant go back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hi Andrew, and welcome to bleepingcomputer.
Microsoft Support has an article which addresses this problem, you can find it here.

Your computer uses the NTFS file system, so you will want to scroll down to Hard disk formatted with NTFS file system.

Method 1 involves a registry edit, I normally would warn that you should backup the registry with a program like Erunt, but in your case it would not matter as the repair will need to be made in order to complete the installation.

If you have access to retail copy of the installation disk I would try method 3.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Andrew Holding

Andrew Holding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hi
Thanks for the advice - I tried the regedit route and completed the repair.
I still have many issues - but at least I can start xp and hopefully work them out.
Thanks once again

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

hi.why not tell us what some of the many issues are .maybe we could help sort some of them with you

Edited by caperjac, 14 October 2012 - 04:58 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi
Thanks for the advice - I tried the regedit route and completed the repair.
I still have many issues - but at least I can start xp and hopefully work them out.
Thanks once again

That was a complicated repair, congratulations!Posted Image

I whole heartily agree with caperjac's suggestion to post any remaining problems, we will be more than glad to help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users