Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what have you learned from this site?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:30 PM

I thought this would be a good idea. When I first came here....... I did not know how to post a HJt log. in fact, I didn't even know how to read alog at all! I knew nothing about taking a snapshot of my desktop or how a board works. This was one for boards I never joined!

I want to make this forum for others to share their story. I have learned some much since I've been here ,That it really amazes me! I now have a board of my home, a web site, and how to operate a computer better than I ever have before!

I have watched daily, as people are learning more and more because they show it day by day.And to think it's all for free!

just one say thanks to the admin Grinler for making this boardand keeping it up daily!
It really is a great board and I learn a lot from all members everyday!

So what have you learned on this board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:48 AM

I for one would like to say that I have learned a great deal as well. I have learned how to program in PHP better, how to setup a forum like this, how to guard against SQL injection, god its countless.

I have also learned from many of you.

What it comes down to, is THANKS TO ALL OF YOU for making BC the place it is today

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:07 AM

I too have learned many things from being a member on this board.
So have many of my younger family members.
All of us learn every day from the posts that the other members put up.
Too numerous to detail now. I thank you all for your efforts here on this board and also for the "grinler", who hosts probably the most friendly board on the WWW.

Thank you all - Long live Bleeping Computer

Edited by KoanYorel, 13 November 2004 - 01:09 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 ~Ayeka~

~Ayeka~

Princess of Jurai

• Members
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:26 AM

I know I've learned alot from this board, especially from the tutorials (BTW..Thanks for that Grinler!! :thumbsup: ).

I honestly can't pinpoint exactly what, but I know this site has a lot to do with the knowledge I've gained to work on logs. :flowers:

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:38 AM

Too numerous to detail now.

...from zero to 1300 in 75 days. It may not be as fast as a Ferrari, but without the tireless work of all the members here and the dedication to excellance that "general Grinler" has shown time & time again, I'd still be pickin' my eyeballs up from the desktop and moaning about the "acursedlanguage" spoken wherever I roamed lookin' for an answer to that dangdest bleepin' keystroke mistake that put me into one fix after another. Heck, I spent all my time offline for a year ana-half!!! Thanks, and you know me, I'll ramble on with a post here n' there tellin' y'all just exactly what I learn here as time goes on... :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 13 November 2004 - 03:45 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:53 AM

Ayup,
But you keep on pokin' out those diaries there phawgg.
Every one I learn from and it seems as though I've experienced a similar situation, but just don't have the requisite knowledge or acumen to post about.

To quote a very trite and old tobacco slogan - "you've come a long way baby!"

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:33 AM

Did ya' notice how I'm still hesitating at the Registry? :inlove: The ten-foot pole? :thumbsup: last post seems like I'm pausing before the major offensive, huh? (BTW, this might be a good time to use the "go to last unread post" feature and spare yourself some of those rambles n' brambles along the trail.:trumpet: ) Fact is the more I learn the harder it gets to make it simple so I don't forget when I wake up in the mornin' after a day here goin' from point A to Point B. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:42 AM

I should be sleeping but....had to post...lol

What have I learned here?
That BC users are way too cool. That we are like family, many of us. We're there for each other and back each other up. Each of us has made a friend or two. Or more. And that help is always on the way.
I learned that not one person out there knows EVERYTHING. And the one thing that is driving us nuts at the moment, someone else has endured.
I learned how to take a snapshot of the screen. I learned a lot about spyware, HJT, and other baddies, and that I'll never know it all.
I learned how to work things in Safe Mode. That almost everything can be fixed. I learned that I'm not the only Pogo addict (HI JASON!).
I learned that there are lots of bad people out there but most of the good ones are members of BC. :trumpet:
Finally, I've learned that I can't live without BC as long as I own computers.
I'm sure I could find lots of REAL things I've learned but it's sooo late and I'm sooo tired and I'm sooo going to bed now. :flowers: :thumbsup:
~67~

#9 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 06:33 AM

Well, I still have a long way to go...I need to spend more time on the tutorials and the serious side of things. I at lease know that they are there. I've learned that there are people that are knowledgable that are willing to help those that are struggling. I learned how to post on the boards, which I didn't know before. I've learned much about security for the pc. I've learned that you can actually make friends posting on message boards!

Thanks, Grinler, and everybody! It's great to have such a warm and inviting group.

Posted Image
noonytunes

#10 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:57 AM

I have learned many things from this board. As complicated that computers can be with all the hardware working with the software, and still work on the internet the way you want, this site has became a daily stop of mine for quite sometime. Although I have been a member at other boards, such as the old TechTV one, this one is a testiment on how people really care. We are all volunteers here, and to help people with their problems, while being paid with a simple thanks, can only be understood by a community such as us. Maybe that is the most important thing that I have learned from here. Not that figuring out solutions to members problems can be both frustrating and challenging, but that this board would only exist with awesome members.

Learning that there are other Pogoaddicts (TexasAngel67 I'm looking at you), can ease the pain when going through withdrawls :thumbsup:

Saying thanks to Grinler for having a site such as this, would not come close to showing appreciation. I am sure that his wife is the same as mine, when she says "are you on the computer again?!?! :flowers: "
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:15 AM

Now see! Look what it has done! A board is nothing without its members! We are all learning and making friends. Thats would not happen without members that volunteer...

I cant compete with words yet like some members can almost make you cry when they write something. LOL It really does amaze me. My pc is now safer than it ever has been thanks to this site! I even got a new browser firefox which I also now hapily promote to others!

I better quit now and give the rest of you a chance. I think I'll try a practice log. I think number 2........

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 13 November 2004 - 09:16 AM.

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:53 PM

I am sure that his wife is the same as mine, when she says "are you on the computer again?!?! :thumbsup: "

LOL. I just showed her this line and shes is laughing while at the same time saying "Get off the damn computer!"

#13 Daisuke

Daisuke

Cleaner on Duty

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 07:04 PM

Well, I feel I learned a lot, let's see:
- I think my English is better, I can write better in English and my grammar is better, and I'm more confident to speak and to write in English
- I learned this is a place where I can meet nice people and where I feel good
- I learned that if you give something you will get something back
- I'm more pacient
- I'm more organized
- I can understand better a newbie behavior when he is fixing things
- I learned new things about malware
- I learned from my mistakes
- I learned from other HJT Team/HJT CoachTeam members and Trainees

And the process is in progress ...

Thank you all :thumbsup:
Everyday is virus day. Do you know where your recovery CDs are ?
Did you create them yet ?

Posted Image

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 07:42 PM

Thats so great cyro! What is your original language?

#15 Daisuke

Daisuke

Cleaner on Duty

• Members
  • 5,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

What is your original language?

Romanian :thumbsup: . It is a Latin language, like Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and French.
Everyday is virus day. Do you know where your recovery CDs are ?
Did you create them yet ?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users