Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Connectivity after Koobface Removal & Reg Cleanup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 freestud

freestud

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hey, this is my first post here and I've looked around for an answer without a solution.

The computer in question is running Windows Vista Home Basic 6.0.6002 SP2. It is usually connected to the internet via a Verizon Broadband USB727 usb card modem but started having problems with connection on Monday.

The problem is that it will not connect to the internet (IE cannot display the webpage), even when the usb card says it is connected, or when it is connected to my router via ethernet. Usually the usb card will show an error in the taskbar saying that there is "limited connectivity", but sometimes it shows a solid connection and there is still no internet. In internet explorer, when trying to open a page like google or hotmail, I get an error message saying "Unable to open the search page". It will sometimes show "ieframe.dll" running in the corner. I've also tried running a portable version of google chrome and get an "Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve to server's DNS address. This happens even when directly connected via ethernet.

What I've tried:
Pinging verizon's DNS for the card (8.8.8.8) results in a clean ping. But I am unable to ping www.google.com.
I've tried uninstalling the card's driver and reinstalling. But the fact that the card works with another computer makes me believe it is not the problem.
I've run mbam and pulled 4 results all connected to the koobface worm. Cleaned, restarted, and later scans show no results.
I've run ccleaner and cleaned internet files and registry issues.
I've reset the IE options.
I've run winsockfix.exe
I've run a reset.bat with:
@echo off
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset
shutdown -r -t 0

I've checked LAN Settings to be sure proxy settings weren't in place (however, by default, LAN settings are greyed out and I could only access it by changing a key in the registry. Within LAN settings, the "Use automatic configuration script" box is checked and the address reads: "http://127.0.0.1:2372/wpad.dat". Even if I remove this and uncheck it, it doesn't help and comes back on the next opening of IE, and the reg key is changed back)

I'm sure there are more things I've tried, but I can't think of them right now. I'm going on 8 hours working on this piece of joy.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

John

Edited by freestud, 13 October 2012 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

I've checked LAN Settings to be sure proxy settings weren't in place (however, by default, LAN settings are greyed out and I could only access it by changing a key in the registry. Within LAN settings, the "Use automatic configuration script" box is checked and the address reads: "http://127.0.0.1:2372/wpad.dat". Even if I remove this and uncheck it, it doesn't help and comes back on the next opening of IE, and the reg key is changed back)

Not sure if this is your problem, but this should not be checked by default -
The top box (Automatically detect settings) should be the only one check marked, although there may be a specified port (listed lower right side).
Click APPLY at the bottom right if you do alter any settings in the Connections area -

Try to ping 127.0.0.1 (yourself) and see what the result is - I assume you are not posting from the problem computer at this time -

Tell us if you get an answer from Tech Support Guy 14-Oct-2012

#3 freestud

freestud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

noknojon, thanks for your reply. I did run a ping and everything went through fine. So I'm not sure what this tells us.

I'm aware it shouldn't be there and I have changed the setting to just "automatically detect setting", but as soon as IE is closed and restarted, these boxes revert and I'm back to being unable to change the setting without making a registry change. Again, on the "Connections" tab, the LAN settings box is grayed out and at the bottom it says "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". The strange thing is that this is an administrator account, so it shouldn't be this way. Even when right clicking on IE and choosing to "run as administrator". Do you have any other recommendations?

Edited by freestud, 14 October 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#4 freestud

freestud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Well, this wasn't a very helpful forum. I ended up having to just recover the computer completely. Once everything was reinstalled, the internet worked fine. Hopefully other people can get better help than I did. Thanks anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users