Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Powerline adapter networking really that good?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Need to add a computer upstairs in our house, but the router is downstairs. I was looking at Wifi, but I found this Powerline network system which seems cheaper and more stable. Looks really good, no new wires, just plug one powerline adapter into a power plug near the router and the other on plug in a socket near the computer, right?

Seems like a simple set up, and they say they are 500 Mbps which seems fast, good enough for Internet of VOIP?

Look like there is a lot to choose from, but some are HomePlug certified, and some are not.

What is HomePlug certification, is it important?

Here is the ones I am thinking of (both are Homeplug):

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actiontec---500-Mbps-Powerline-Home-Theater-Network-Adapter-Kit/5215483.p?id=1218625358741&skuId=5215483

or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tp-Link+-+TL-PA211+AV200+Mini+Powerline+Starter+Kit/4359873.p?id=1218475570165&skuId=4359873&st=powerline&cp=4&lp=5
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

I am a bit old fashioned and would go for something like TP-Link TL-WA901ND instead.

I think that would be more than enough even though this offers transfer of 300MBPS.

Let me know what you think ;)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Powerline adapters work very well for just about anything. A coworker has used the TPlink and Netgear units with success. The HomePlug Certification means the unit is compatible with other HomePlug certified adapters HomePlug Wiki HomePlug Website. From what I gather from briefly reading It is a Certificate issuing Authority to establish baseline compatibility between products from different manufactures for PowerLine Ethernet networking. Similar to IEEE 802.11 standards for wireless networking
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users