Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Sometimes Won't Sleep

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hello everyone,
I own an HP dv6tqe-7000 and I have a pretty annoying problem. At random times the laptop won't go to sleep when I close the lid. The HP logo light stays lit even if I leave it alone for a couple of minutes. If I open it up the screen is blank, and both the power and WiFi light are on. The mute volume LED is off even though I had left it on before. The only thing I can do is hold down the power button to reset it.

I have no idea what causes this. Sometimes the laptop takes a lot longer to sleep than usual as well, up to a minute. I don't think this was a problem when I first got it about 3 months ago. The problem has been apparent for about a month now.

I tried updating the drivers to both the dedicated and integrated GPU, but unfortunately it still showed the same result. I know I updated my BIOS awhile back, but I don't know if that's the problem. I also bought a Logitech USB mouse I bought 2 months ago where you are just supposed to leave in the USB receiver.

At times it will go to sleep within seconds. I wish it would do this all the time because since I'm on campus I always have to put my laptop back in my backpack.

Any ideas about how to fix this? It's getting quite annoying especially since it is sporadic.

Edited by snipersgethead, 13 October 2012 - 07:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

If it's still under warranty, I would arrange for a replacement if you are not satisfied with your new laptop. The blank screen when opening from sleep is what alarms me at this stage. If there is not much of a trouble, try using the recovery partition to restore your laptop to factory default only after backing up your important data. This way you could test if the sleep problem still occurs and the recovery partition works flawlessly. A new laptop with recovery partition should always be tested for a full proof that it is working.

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Also see: Troubleshooting Windows 7 Sleep Problems.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

Well I'm in school now so I can't really afford to be away from my laptop anytime soon; that also includes re-formatting anything. If it's the very last option I will but I'd like to resolve this without doing so.

Again, still emphasizing the point that this is random. Is there anything I can look for specifically on Event Viewer to try to narrow down the problem? I don't really use it all that often so it would help to know what I should look for specifically in terms of the actual event of sleeping and the related events around that which could be the problem.

EDIT: May have found the problem. It's my WiFi. When I disable WiFi on my laptop by the button on my keyboard the laptop will enter sleep immediately. Here's how I came about that hunch:

I was looking through Event Viewer and wrote down the time I had put the laptop to sleep. From the time of closing the lid, there were a couple of events that went on. The first ones were USB related.

This is where something caught my eye. Near the end of when I shut it down by the power button, there were some events going on: The WiFi I was connected to was disconnected; this sounded normal. But then it tried to reconnect to another network with no name - the only information I could get was that it was a IPV4. It then tried to connect to Windows Update (I believe it said it was successful, maybe?)The connection then said it was lost, which was probably because I held the power down.

I think that's why the laptop hangs in sleep mode. It's requesting something from a network and I have no idea why. Any ideas on a solution? I noticed that trend again when I isolated another occasion in the past where the laptop didn't sleep properly. There are more occasions but I can't check them now because I'm in the middle of something.

Edited by snipersgethead, 17 October 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Try reading also here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01853693&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5276635#N867 preferably the Selective Startup diagnosis and changing the current screensaver/wallpaper suggestion. The USB related should point you to any currently connected device, so check the difference by removing them. Check your wifi adapter power management tab and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is checked.

Tekken

#6 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am almost positive it is something with the WiFi though. As said before, it will disconnect from the current network and then attempt to connect to some unknown network during standby. It will then try to connect to Windows Update which causes it to hang there. This is all from Event Viewer. Still no idea why it only tries to connect sometimes if the problem is sporadic.

The reason I'm more sure about it is because it seemed to hang just now by taking about 30 seconds to sleep. I opened up the laptop and disabled the WiFi form the button on the keyboard. When I closed the lid, it went to sleep almost instantaneously.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

where you are just supposed to leave in the USB receiver

Have you tried removing this physically and of any associated softwares installed? I am not too sure of the wifi radio button being turned off but if clearly it would solve your problem from that way the its a case closed...?

Check your wifi adapter power management tab and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device" is checked.

Done checking this already?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users