Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this and is it safe to remove?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrlook

mrlook

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hello I'm new here so I hope this is where I can get some help on this question.
First off I am using Windows XP Home edition 32 bit OS Version: 5.1.2600 with the Service Pack: 3.0. CPU Name: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.66GHz
Code Name: Model 4, Stepping 1
I'm a novice at best so please bear with the phrasing and naivete regarding my inquiry.
As I was looking for a program in c drive I came across this file...1d1b086e728300290b4409d0d9bd. It appears to have 38 items which look like number files ranging from 1025-3082 in it and a graphics file as well. It apparently takes up 123MB.
I am not able to distinguish what they are, or what they are for. Can anyone help give me insight regarding this issue?
Also, is this file and its contents important or necessary, and can you safely delete the 1d1b086e728300290b4409d0d9bd file from the C drive?
Thank you for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hello and Welcome -
There is no 1d1b086e728300290b4409d0d9bd files mentioned in any GOOGLE search, so someone has created it -
Is there any way that you can open this file, or do you just want a way to delete it ??

Has your Antivirus or Antimalware programs notified you of this, or did you accidentally "stumble" upon it ??

Thank You -

#3 CatByte

CatByte

bleepin' tiger

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

I expect it is created by Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client

when Microsoft installs any .NET updates it creates the random numbered folder you are referring to

http://superuser.com/questions/219657/whats-microsoft-net-framework-4-client-and-why-is-it-taking-over-my-computer

Microsoft MVP - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

That sounds a lot like a temp directory created Microsoft's installer, in which case it's harmless.

Installers for a number of Microsoft products will create a randomly-named folder at the root of the drive with the most available free space*. The contents of the installer are extracted into this directory. These contents include graphics, language-specific text (the 1025-3082 folders probably correspond to LocaleIDs), and MSI installer packages.

Look for a file named SetupUtility.exe in the folder. If it exists, right-click on the file and select Properties from the popup menu. In the Properties window that opens, check the Digital Signatures tab. If it is a Microsoft product (and therefore likely safe) it should have a digital signature from Microsoft Corporation like this:
Posted Image

*which, by the way, contradicts Microsoft's own developer guidelines </rant>

Edited by Andrew, 13 October 2012 - 07:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users