Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 630i with USB drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 byteguy

byteguy

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I have a client that signed up with Carbonite. They told him to buy an external USB drive to help with his backups. He did that but the system will not boot with the USB drive attached. I've set the boot options as 1) optical drive and 2) hard drive. I've disabled other boot devices. Even with the USB device chosen as a 3rd boot device I still cannot get the system to actually start Windows. As soon as I unplug the drive, the system boots normally.
Any ideas?
I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gray.MD

Gray.MD

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

Is USB legacy support enabled in the BIOS?

#3 byteguy

byteguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

USB support is enabled, as far as I know. I know I looked, but to be really sure I'd have to look again (you know how that is).
I tried various configs and even went so far as to enable default settings. Of course that enabled the floppy drive which errored out since there is no floppy!
I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

I've set the boot options as 1) optical drive and 2) hard drive.

Typically, the system hard drive should be booted first.

Tekken

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've set the boot options as 1) optical drive and 2) hard drive.

Typically, the system hard drive should be booted first.

I'll go one step further and say that unless you need to boot from another device the hdd should be the first device in the boot order. The only times that I would change the boot order would be to either boot from an ISO CD/DVD, or boot from a USB device containing the operating system, booting from a USB storage device would have to be supported in the BIOS in order to do this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 byteguy

byteguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

No matter that the optical drive is set to boot first. This is not a problem. Most computers I work on have the optical drive first in the boot order. If there is no boot device in the CD/DVD or if the CD/DVD isn't bootable, then the second device should automatically boot. This does not happen unless the USB drive is unplugged. Even when the USB drive is completely missing from the boot order, it still causes the system to hang.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

I found some information which was posted by Carbonite in 2010 where they state that their product is only usable with a hdd. Two years prior to this they were saying that when you purchased Carbonite Plus this would remedy this problem, apparently two years later this has not come to be.

The article I found can be read here.

Obviously this was two years ago, but it is enough to make one wonder.

Edited by dc3, 14 October 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 byteguy

byteguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any problems with the universal serial bus controllers?

Nope--haven't looked but I will. Thanks.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Please look at my previous post as I edited it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users