Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP freezing in normal mode working fine in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel860

Daniel860

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

2 days ago my computer randomly froze up when I had a few chrome windows open and a few other applications. The mouse can move around but nothing on the screen is responsive. I figured it was a one time thing and forced shut down and rebooted. It again froze up about 3 minutes later and now every time I use it it freezes from within a few minutes of logging in to up to an hour. Even if I just log in and don't touch anything it will freeze at some point in time. Last night I used it for 6 hours and thought everything was fixed but when I woke up it was again frozen. It also seems to be lagging a little when opening new tabs and applications which it never did. It works fine in safe mode and stayed on for over 24 hours with no problems.

Dell Vostro laptop
3ghz 2GB RAM
250GB HD 50% full

What I have done:

Restored to a date of last week when everything was working - didn't help
Ran updated versions of AVG and Malwarebytes - clean and didn't help
Turned off all start up items in MSCONFIG - didn't help
Turned off all non microsoft services in services in MSCONFIG - didn't help
All the drivers in my device manager seem to be working as I see no exclamation points or anything

I googled around and tried to figure it out on my own but can't seem to figure it out so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. If you need any more information please ask and I will provide. Hope it was clear and concise.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Please check the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at these times. Each error has a date and time.

Go to Start> Run and type in eventvwr.msc then press Enter.

When the Event Viewer opens click on Applications in the left pane.

If you double click on an error a description of the error will open. Click on the copy icon, (the copy icon is highlighted with the red square in the picture below), once this is done you can right click and paste this description. Please post the error description/s in your next post in this topic.

Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Daniel860

Daniel860
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the quick response dc3. I have been trying to upload the screenshots and post but my computer is freezing too quickly. I am posting from my phone so excuse my typos.

these are the most common errors that show up as the last thing before a crash.

source: windows search service
Description: a master merge has been paused for catalog system index due to error 0xc0000001. It will reschedule later.

Source: esent
Description: windows (2148) windows: the database engine has successfully completed recovery steps

these seem to be common link from what I can tell.

Also since I couldn't get on I turned off.the windows search service rebooted and it again froze with this

Source: securitycenter
Decryption: the windows security center service has started

After this I decided I'd stop messing around since I don't know what I am doing and listen to what dc3 (and others) say.

Thanks again.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

From what you have described and the error code it looks like the Security Accounts Manager file (SAM) is corrupted or missing. The information which I found for this lists three different means of repairing/reinstalling this file. The first is the best as it should not cause a loss of data which the second and third do.

You can read the Microsoft Support article here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Daniel860

Daniel860
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Could you repost the link? Thanks for the continued help

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

That's twice that I've posted a link only to have it fail. My apologies.

Let's see if this link gets you there.

#7 Daniel860

Daniel860
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Sorry to bump this but have a couple things and wondering if it changes anything:

While trying to use my external to back things up the computer would even freeze up in safe mode until I would unplug the usb.

Also: I did a diagnosis on the he at start up and it gave ne an error 147 status 79. I don't have a back up windows cd handy sooooo I

Sorry to bump this but have a couple things and wondering if it changes anything:

While trying to use my external to back things up the computer would even freeze up in safe mode until I would unplug the usb.

Also: I did a diagnosis on the he at start up and it gave ne an error 147 status 79. I don't have a back up windows cd handy sooooo I am trying to avoid reinstalling as I cant figure out how without the cd. Thanks again for all the help

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

Do you have access to a installation disc or one that you can borrow for your version of XP?

If you do or can, run sfc with the scannow option, this will scan and repair important Windows files.

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

*Credit for these instructions goes to USASMA.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users