Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow/Delaying Computer (Not Infected?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MackG.

MackG.

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

My computer the past few days has a serious hang time in that when I click something it takes many minutes, if it'll actually open, to open. Essentially, it running slow all of sudden to the point that I can't actually use the computer unless I restart several times. Sometimes though it will run really fast for a few minutes or so faster than usual like it come sin waves of fast and slow, though as the days go by this seems less so and it more just slow. This is the same for whether it is on the internet or not. I have removed temporary files, checked for unnecessary/too many programs, checked for too many start-up programs, still have plenty of memory, it was defragged, and Norton 360 didn't come up with any viruses. Yet I did have to remove norton because it had an error (8504,104) and when that happened I downloaded AVG and Malwarebytes b/c I wasn't too happy with norton which found a few threats that I removed but didn't solve the problem. Also my computer is a Toshiba L655 running Windows 7 64-bit. I hope this is detailed enough with all your looking for this isn't really my strong suit.

I had posted under I am Infected? But I was referred to make a post here because nothing apparently malicious could be found, anyway thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gray.MD

Gray.MD

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Sounds as though it could be a failing HDD, have you backed up your DATA lately? If not I would highly suggest doing so. Depending on the brand of the HDD there are free diagnostic utilities available.

#3 MackG.

MackG.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

I used Sea Tools for Windows and it came back clean on all the Hard Drive scans if that is the kind of diagnostics you were talking about.

#4 ET_Explorer_2012

ET_Explorer_2012

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hi, MackG, have tried using Glary Utilities @ this link : http://majorgeeks.com/Glary_Utilities_d5870.html
I use this free tool to help maintain my computer.

Glary Utilities: is a smart and reliable application that offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi, MackG, have tried using Glary Utilities @ this link : http://majorgeeks.com/Glary_Utilities_d5870.html
I use this free tool to help maintain my computer.

Glary Utilities: is a smart and reliable application that offers numerous powerful and easy-to-use system tools and utilities to fix, speed up, maintain and protect your PC.

Well...I would chanllenge that assessment (since it's word-for-word from the download page) and I would never suggest using any of the glut of programs which were developed by Glary but which seem unsupported today, IMO. An example of what I mean can be seen at http://www.glarysoft.com/support/faq/ .

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users