Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ads never appear and tracking links don't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KellyCQ

KellyCQ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

OK - so here is a strange problem. I normally use Chrome with ABP installed and I am used to not seeing any ads when browsing. If the website insists I turn off ABP I will do so if I am interested enough in the content, leave, or use Firefox or IE. Not an issue. But I have one computer in my house that all ads and tracking links are blocked on all the browsers. This is a Windows 7 laptop with MSE for security. Other computers with the same setup (Win7/MSE/Chrome+ABP) in my home do not have this problem.

I'm not concerned about the ads as I am the paid links. For instance, any link I click on from SlickDeals.net, I will get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to xxx" or the equivalent page on FireFox or IE.

Can anyone help or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

Try using these : AdwCleaner and Free Malwarebytes.

Tekken

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

As I understand your problem, when clicking on a link to go to Slickdeals.net in either Chrome or Firefox,
you get the "cannot connect" message.....right?

What happens when you click on this link? Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 KellyCQ

KellyCQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

OK - I figured it out. Some die-hard IE user in my household manipulated the hosts file is an effort to block some ads which in turn screwed a bunch of other stuff up. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users