Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it *really* necessary to turn off A/V when installing/uninstalling?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Is it *really* necessary to turn off A/V programs when installing/uninstalling? In my case right now the program is AutoCAD, but I see this requirement for many programs, so it's something of a generic question as well.

Instructions say to do so, but turning off my avast is not clear, so I searched for instructions and I come across avast forums where everybody says that is "old thinking" and is no longer necessary as it used to be.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

It depends on the program and how deeply it gets into the system. I generally find it a lot easier and faster to uninstall and install programs if I disconnect from the internet, disable all my security programs, close all other applications, then install or uninstall the program. That said, it isn't always necessary to do that.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

What is the use of installing AV if you turn it off when new files are being copied to your system?
Unless you are installing genuine software obtained from a reputed software firm, I find it very insecure practice.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

No, it is not necessary. I never do it.

Software vendors recommend this just to reduce calls to their helpdesks.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Let me explain myself further:

If I don't know squat about who wrote it, I keep security enabled.

If I do know who wrote it, know it's reliable, and I'm downloading it, I download it with security up and running, and scan the dickens out of it before I install it. If it's a zip file, I unzip it with security up and running and scan it all.

But if I'm installing some megahuge software package from a software writer I know and trust, I disconnect from the internet, shut down security, then install to avoid the strings of alerts I always get when installing. Microsoft Office Suite comes to mind as an example. Edited to add: Note that if I downloaded it, I still scan it when downloading.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 October 2012 - 06:20 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Unless you are installing a printer driver and/or running an HIPS/firewall software then it's not really needed. If you are then I recommend setting them to training/learning mode.

#7 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

In this case it was a legal and legitimate copy of AutoCAD from Autodesk. I consider them to be legit. I uninstalled it, cleaned everything up, then re-installed. Was doing this because the program wouldn't load. Kept getting to a certain file in the initial splash screen then would hang up and never move beyond that,

I ended up un-installing my avast A/V, then re-installing after I was done. Didn't have a tray icon for some reason and couldn't simply disable it, and this was quicker.

Anyway, it worked. AutoCAD would then load... until I re-installed and activated my avast A/V (paid version, not free). Then I got the same problem.

Long story short, it seems the avast A/V is causing this particular problem. (Not in the way that the initial question asks, of course)

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

There are some software packages that you cannot really scan. There are packages made using InnoSetup or NSIS etc., they cannot be extracted not even with Uniextract. So you cannot really scan them before installing. Only way to check and scan those is in Virtual Box.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,601 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

...it worked. AutoCAD would then load... until I re-installed and activated my avast A/V (paid version, not free). Then I got the same problem.

Long story short, it seems the avast A/V is causing this particular problem. (Not in the way that the initial question asks, of course)

If you believe this is an issue with avast, then contact and advise them.

avast! Customer & Technical Support (requires registration)

avast! Submit a Ticket (requires registration) for help and support
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users