Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

werfault.exe and browsermngr.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ToniD.

ToniD.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Hello people of the internet!

Recently, I've discovered that werfault.exe and browsermngr.exe would turn off and on (simultaneously) every 4 seconds.

My first attempt to fix the issue was to run Norton, which found nothing. I then tried to set my computer to a different restore point, but the problem persisted. This, however, dredged up a new problem - I couldn't update Windows. Windows gave me the 80070643 Error Code, and after clicking the links provided by the trouble-shooting program, it said the problem was either a faulty Microsoft Word 2003 installation (I have Office 2010)or something was wrong with my .Net Framework.

For a long while, I couldn't get my .Net Framework repaired. The Control Panel wouldn't let me do it. I had tried two versions of Microsoft's Fix It tool, but to no avail. I tried another repair tool offered by Microsoft, and while it seemed to function better, it said it couldn't repair it fully. I restarted my computer to let the changes it did manage to make set it, and when I went back to the Control Panel to repair the .Net Framework, it allowed me to fix it this time.

Now that my computer is once more all up to date, and my .Net Framework is no longer giving me problems, I still have those 2 stupid programs (werfault.exe and browsermngr.exe) cycling through my Task Manager. If I follow the advice online by disabling werfault.exe, a pop-up comes to my screen saying "browsermngr.exe has stopped working: Windows can check online for a solution to the problem." but it never finds a solution. And it keeps popping up once I opt for "Close the program"/ click the "X". It has a "View problem details" drop down menu, but it's information is useless to me:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: browsermngr.exe
Application Version: 2.2.639.201
Application Timestamp: 50475b2d
Fault Module Name: browsermngr.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.2.639.201
Fault Module Timestamp: 50475b2d
Exception Offset: 0008d24f
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Information 1: 4655
Additional Information 2: 4655cc2f47a104dbe8128f52ce708c08
Additional Information 3: ed97
Additional Information 4: ed97fa876ba24c38840d817de11ff005

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1. It's a Gateway model NV75S, and has a 64-Bit operating system.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2012 - 12:48 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kladdos

kladdos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Dear Tonid,

I have exactly the same problem with my sony laptop.
I'm considering to do a reinstallation of my windows 7.
It might be an idea. I will wait for another reply for a bit.

Hopefully you have found a solution already?

thanks,
Kladdos

#3 ToniD.

ToniD.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Dear Tonid,

I have exactly the same problem with my sony laptop.
I'm considering to do a reinstallation of my windows 7.
It might be an idea. I will wait for another reply for a bit.

Hopefully you have found a solution already?

thanks,
Kladdos

Hmmmm, I've come to think it's an actual virus. Claro is it's alternative name. I need to do more reading, but don't uninstall windows just yet. Might be a lot of work for nothing.
What I've read so far is that typical antivirus software can't pick it up. I'm determined to figure it out though - slowing down my brand new laptop D:<

#4 ToniD.

ToniD.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Oh hunni, from what I understand it's a virus that may have wiggled itself into our computers through an outdated version of Java. Kill me now.
BUT YAY I GOT RID OF THE BASTARD!
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=124515
You shouldn't need to follow all the steps. browsermngr.exe no longer shows up on my task manager after I followed the steps on post 3.

I downloaded aswMBR.exe (Avast) along with it's virus definitions. I didn't get it to fix anything, just closed it after saving the log to my desktop. I don't know if you actually need this step, but with browsermngr.exe being unidentifiable by Norton and all, I'm guessing Avast's virus definitions might have made it recognizable to AdwCleaner, which I used next.

I ran AdwCleaner from here: http://general-changelog-team.fr/en/downloads/viewdownload/20-outils-de-xplode/2-adwcleaner <-- just click the big green arrow to the right under "Data". Save it to your desktop. If you click "Search" and something will pop up. It ought to mention Browsermngr.exe towards the top of the text. Next I clicked "Delete" and it told my computer to reboot. While booting up another text popped up saying which registry keys/other stuff associated with the stupid browsermngr.exe was REMOVED YAY! Closed the file and haven't heard from that stupid virus since! :D

Thank you CatByte!

Edited by ToniD., 28 October 2012 - 05:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users