Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HTPC and wifi speed issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Réjôme

Réjôme

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hello,

I just got the new Arctic MC101 Barbone (A10) :-)
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/office-pc/572/mc101-barebone-a10.html?c=2296

I deployed a fresh new Windows 7 (original) and all the drivers provided by the manufacturer.
All the devices are properly recognized according to the Device Manager.

My problem is that downloading does not exceed ~100Kbs.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2238989435.png
On my other computers, e.g. my ASUS laptop, I get an average of 800Kbs.
http://speedtest.net/result/2238985628.png

Every device in the house is connected to a Wireless router (Netgear WNR3500) at an approximate distance of 15 meters.

Here are the MiniToolBox reports:
MC101
http://www.jungle-gecko.fr/files/MC101_MiniToolBox_2012.10.13.txt
ASUS laptop:
http://www.jungle-gecko.fr/files/ASUS_MiniToolBox_2012.10.13.txt

Thanks for your help !

Réjôme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenze

jenze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hi Réjôme,

I have bought the same computer and I was wondering if you have solved your problem. I hope so, after so many months. I had the very same problem, I installed windows 7, all the drivers from the Arctic website and then I realized that the wifi speed connection was really bad, and as soon as I started to download something, or even only watching youtube, the speed was dropping dramatically and sometimes even stopping. I tried to install different drivers and programs to monitor the wifi connection, and nothing helped. The thing is that with my laptop I had no problem at all, and exactly in the same position I had a very good connection.

At the end I thought it was a hardware problem, and I opened the case, I took out the wifi antenna and magically the wifi connection became stable and fast enough (not super fast but more than sufficient to stream 8 Gb Mkv files, without loosing a single frame. My opinion is that the aluminium case makes a kind of shield around the antenna and basically stops it. That is very stupid from the manufacturer, because it seems they didn't even test it... Anyway, I didn't have time so far to test it properly and I hope that it was not just a lucky shot. Tonight i will make more test and I guess that I will just open a tiny hole in the plastic and keep the wifi antenna outside of the case, not very clean but working fine,..

Let me know if this helps. 

How is your experience with this machine after some months of use?

Bye

#3 vincedk

vincedk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hi Jenze

I'm experiencing the same problem with wifi speed on my brand-new Arctic MC101, plus the wifi connection is flaky (despite the connection being perfect and fast on a laptap sitting next to the Arctic unit). I was wondering how you got on with the wifi antenna. Didi you remove it entirely or reposition it?

#4 jenze

jenze

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi Réjôme,

well, basically, after having tried several configuration, like positioning the antenna out of the case, connecting the antenna to another piece of metal, repositioning the antenna inside the case, I gave up. I also wrote Arctic because I found an empty mSATA slot on the mainboard and I thought of installing an mSATA wifi card from Intel (with three antenna) that has very good reviews, but the people from Arctic told me that the mSATA slot supports only hard drives. So, sick of fighting with the problem, changing drivers and getting angry, I disinstalled the wifi card (that has very bad revies on internet, and I also express this opinion to Arctic) and I bought a couple of powerline ethernet connector. Now my connection with the router is about 100 Mbit steady. I am very disappointed with this computer, it looks really cool and overall it works fine, but it gets really hot because the case is used to dissipate the heat, and the wifi is extremely crappy. Plus once in a while it freezes and I have no other chances than reboot it, have you ever experienced this problem?

Bye

#5 vincedk

vincedk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

HI Jenze

I'm also thinking of disabling the built-in wifi card and using a USB wifi adpter.

I haven't had the problem with the unit freezing, but that might still be ahead of me: the wifi problem hasmeant I haven't been able to use it much yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users