Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't perform system restore through command prompt. option in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 intaki

intaki

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:29 AM

Peace:
While using the Duplicate File delete tool in Comodo System Utilities, the Ntfs.sys drivers were accidentally deleted. Everything worked fine until I shut down. The system would not boot. F8 would not get me to the Safe Mode screen. After about a billion tries hitting F8, the Safe Mode screen appeared. I chose Windows XP Professional OS and the option Command Prompt. When I keyed Enter, I got that same error message about the repair disk which I don't have. Hit F8 again(just held it down) and got Safe Mode screen. Keyed the option Safe Mode and when entered, got that same error message. Hit F8 again and got Safe Mode screen. Keyed option 'directories'. Got same error message and a list of drivers(sys32\ntfs.sys) not on list. I was not able to get into the Safe Mode screen again no matter how many times I hit F8. The keyboard and mouse work while Safe Mode screen is on but don't work when trying to boot the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users