Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 freezes upon login but returns after 7-20 minutes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mhPhotographer

mhPhotographer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hi,

I have a problem with 2 Windows computers located in 2 separate locations. When I login the computer will run for 1-3 minutes and then freezes for 8-20 minutes. After it returns from it's nap everything runs normally.

I have been told that their is no malware on the computer, see this topic -- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic470029.html

I could really use some help on this as when I first reported this on the Windows 7 forum about a month ago the freeze was 7-8 minutes, last time I rebooted and logged in it froze for 20 minutes.

Thank you in advance
Marv

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi Marv -
Lets start with a basic Disk Check -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows :

•Click Start and open Computer

Right-click on C: (or your main drive letter) and select Properties

•Click on the Tools tab

•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button

•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

•Click on the Start button

•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >> Restart your computer

•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

This should take about 1 hour (on average) to complete the 5 stage scan, and reboot to normal mode once finished -

Next go - Start -> Programs > Accessories > and find Command Prompt > Right click on it and select Run as Administrator -
Type sfc /scannow and press Enter - No Cd etc will be required for this process on Windows 7 - This will take about 15 minutes -

Only do one computer so we can see any results -

Thank You -

#3 mhPhotographer

mhPhotographer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

OK, working on it.

#4 rascal27

rascal27

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

try to check hard disk error and defragment harddisk may help you....

#5 mhPhotographer

mhPhotographer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hello Forum Addict,

Ran both disk checks as instructed. Neither reported any significant corrections and the freeze still occurs upon login.

I have posted these several times. Do they shed any light on what is happening. These errors occur in the event log for System after each reboot and login (note these errors on occur after a reboot, I can log off and log in with no problems - no freeze).

The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 10.
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the ShellHWDetection service.
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WSearch service.
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the LanmanServer service.
A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the avgwd service.
Error occurred when processing iSCSI logon request. The request was not retried. Error status is given in the dump data.
Initiator failed to connect to the target. Target IP address and TCP Port number are given in dump data.
iSCSI discovery via SendTargets failed with error code 0xefff0003 to target portal *169.254.1.0 0003260 Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 .
Error occurred when processing iSCSI logon request. The request was not retried. Error status is given in the dump data.
Initiator failed to connect to the target. Target IP address and TCP Port number are given in dump data.
iSCSI discovery via SendTargets failed with error code 0xefff0003 to target portal *169.254.1.0 0003260 Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 .
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SBRE
Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.
The firewall exception to allow Internet Storage Name Server (iSNS) client functionality is not enabled. iSNS client functionality is not available.
The Hauppauge CIR Receiver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Edited by mhPhotographer, 13 October 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Update from user

The problem with my Windows 7 computer freezing for 8-20 minutes upon login was a hardware issue. I had used software that uses VSC to backup files from my Drobo 32TB drive and this caused a 'malformation' of the drobo that caused windows to hang. The solution was to backup the data, reformat the drobo, and reinstall the data.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Re: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: SBRE -
The process known as Anti-Rootkit Engine or SBRE or GFI Anti-Rootkit Driver belongs to software CounterSpy or VIPRE Antivirus or SBRE or VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware by Sunbelt Software
Have you had, or do you have any Counterspy or VIPRE Antivirus program installed ??
How to uninstall VIPRE?

#8 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

I posted this because the user had solved the issue, noknojon. Thanks for the input though - always welcome :)
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hi m0le -
Sorry, I misread it as being sent back to Win7 for a recheck -

Job well done by you :thumbup2: