Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems recording with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

I like to record radio from online streams and save them later as a "podcast" to listen to later. I had no problem doing this in Windows XP. However, XP is pretty outdated. I have two computers with Windows 7, but have encountered the same issues with both.

I enabled Stereo Mix in Windows, and I can now record audio successfully...the issue is it's extremely soft. Speaker percentage is set to 18%...and it's loud when it's being played, yet softer when it's recorded. The same issue goes on with my laptop.

I have tried to update audio drivers for both computers. The program I am using is "Mp3MyMp3", which is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7. It's not a program issue, as Audacity also records soft audio too.

Are there any suggested programs I use instead? Is there any way to fix this?

Edited by ixcuincle, 12 October 2012 - 02:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

I have to ask the obvious. You have not said whether the recording levels are visually indicated as adequate, either by the VU meter that is apparently in your app or a separate meter. Do you have the recording volume for the input turned up to max?

"and it's loud when it's being played, yet softer when it's recorded" - Was that phrase intended to mean it's loud when you are recording the original program but softer when you play back the recording?

#3 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

The recording volume is maxed out, yet remains soft. This happens for all recording applications.

"It's loud when it's being played, yet softer when it's recorded" means what you said it meant. I can hear what I'm recording, over the sound card, fine, and without problem at all. However, the same audio, replayed, is noticeably softer.

Posted Image

The volume percentage may seem low, but it's fine. In fact it seems too loud for the audio I am listening to. The same issues occur on my other laptop, which has speakers built-in.

Edited by ixcuincle, 18 October 2012 - 09:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users