Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Dreaded Blue Death Screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wtchtfl

wtchtfl

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

My Dell D620 Latitude laptop running XP professional has come to a stop. It could not make a network connection so I uninstalled D-Link and reinstalled it and connected just fine, everything was working fine until the PC had to restart due to system updates installed. This is the error message: STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down. This is as far as the PC goes I tried starting in safe mode, I ran the Dell Diagnostics everything passed except for the battery test failed.( I have the laptop on a dock) It can't reboot, the Blue Screen keeps staring me in my face. What do I do? Your help in this matter is much appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

You can make a bootable CD with which you can access the Recovery Console using the information below.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
* Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
* You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
* You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
* Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
* The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order. For your computer F2 is the key that you start pressing when the power button is pressed.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r fixboot and then press Enter.

Edited by dc3, 13 October 2012 - 08:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wtchtfl

wtchtfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

When I get to the screen that offers the option to install or Repair I get: Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery Console.
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)? _

At this point it will only accept one letter only no numbers. I have tried every letter to no avail. The command prompt never comes up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

To select the Windows partition...type 1 and hit Enter...in response to which Windows install you want to log into.

Louis

#5 wtchtfl

wtchtfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

I selected 1 and the Blue Screen came up with this message:
STOP: c0000139 (Entry Point Not Found)
The procedure entry point LdrSetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic
link library ntdll.dll.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&sd=tech

If the sequence under How To Use The Recovery Console in the link above doesn't happen, there's little I can think of to try to assist you.

Louis

#7 wtchtfl

wtchtfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I was able to run the recovery console and it said it repaired 1 or 2 errors. When I rebooted The Blue Screen came up with the same error message I ran the recovery console several more times until it had no more errors to repair and it still came up with the same error I had from the beginning post.
Any other suggestions I can try?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/28/Product/latitude-d620

Honestly speaking...I don't see that you have any option other than to restore to factory defaults.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb&docid=DSN_181316&isLegacy=true

Louis

#9 wtchtfl

wtchtfl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

I restored to factory default and I'm up and running! Thanks hamluis and dc3 you guys are the Best!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

We appreciate the compliments, glad you have it working again...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users