Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp photosmart keeps popping up after ms fixit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I was having problems with my computer running slowly after downloading MVPS Hosts and kept cleaning out the DNS client, etc.

I rest back to MS hosts and DNS and did a fix it for slowness and now I keep getting popups for my HP printer/scanner program and even with cancel they keep popping up.

I took some screen shots - but will only upload one as says others are too large - so I cut and pasted most of the messages onto the same paint.

I'm sure my computer is clean of malware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hi
Most likely uninstalling that printer, Then going to http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html and downloading the latest drivers and software will fix the problem. Do a System restore point first of course.

This is a common issue with HP printers that I've seen more than once.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

When I check my HP printer it has it listed as the default printer and has all the programs that were loaded with it (several as it's a 3-in-1/printer/scanner/copier).

Also, before posting I did an update on HP from the HP file and said no updates.

Should I delete all these and then re-downloading?

Do you think it got rid of it from the start-up program? If so, how do I make it start up again?

Thank you.

Edited by Tierra93, 12 October 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

The screen shot you posted clearly shows that some part of the software is damaged or missing.

If you have the install DVD it was installed from you can try pointing to it using the browse button in the bottom right box of your screen shot.

As I say I have seen this a lot with HP printers.
Hp update does not check for missing or corrupted files it just checks to see if a newer version is available.

Do not delete, Never Delete, Always use the Uninstall.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I also just got an windows error message when running TFC. See screen shot..

should I just do a system restore - I hate them as they mess up my computers in the past.

Attached Files

Edited by Tierra93, 12 October 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Did someone suggest running TFC? Is running TFC the only Problem?

If everything else is working why not try and fix the HP Problem?
Running System Restore is your choice. What kind of problems did running it in the past cause? System restore should not mess up your computer.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

thanks, I uninstalled all the HP. I'm reinstalling now.

On the TRF, it was suggested to me before and I was told I could keep and use to delete temp files. Is this wrong? I can't find an uninstall for it.

Seems like when there is a problem with HP I have problems with the TRF - this happened a little over a week ago with a bug in a spybot update that was just fixed a few days ago with the new update.

This is an old printer and was given to me - if I should buy a printer/scanner/copier in the future what brand is the least problematic?

Thank you.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

There is nothing wrong with TFC as far as I know, I've used it myself.

I've always had good luck with HP and Epson. However a cheap printer is a cheap printer no matter what brand.
But most of the HPs have B&W Business models and not cheap.

Good Luck with the re-install. If that doesn't do it let me know and we can try finding which of the HP applications is the problem child.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

All fixed. Thank you very much.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

TFC is not an installed program, which is why you don't see a way to uninstall it.

If you don't want to use it delete the file.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 October 2012 - 09:47 AM.
left out a couple of words that needed to be added

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users