Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware Flicker and Roll

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Xiphoidfugu

Xiphoidfugu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hi all. I'm a pretty Tech savvy guy and have a lot of friends and acquaintances bring me computers for repair. I've been doing it for years, but the other day, after repairing an Alienware M17-R1 I ran into something I've never seen before. This Alienware had a bad inverter, and a blown bulb. I replaced them both and now the laptop seems worse than it was before. Here's the issue I'm now having and the things I've done to this laptop.

When I power on the laptop it starts to boot, makes it to the windows logo screen, then the screen flickers a bit with a few fuzzy lines across it, the picture rolls a bit (Slowly, but like v-hold on an old T.V.), then the laptop shuts down completely on it's own. Sometimes it will cycle back on and go through the same rigamaroll other times it just stays shut down.

Here's what I've done to this laptop.
Replaced Inverter (Twice)
Replaced LCD (Not the bulb)
Replaced MOBO
Booted with and without battery installed

Before I replaced the inverter and LCD it seemed to work fine, except nothing could be seen on the screen without a flashlight.

I've also noticed that when plugged in without the battery, the power button is green. With battery, the power button is amber.

I'm going to check the LCD cable and reapply some thermal compound to the CPU, but I honestly don't know if that will help at all.

Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users