Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen on boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

I'm trying to build a computer to mess around on out of old parts, but I can't get it to boot off of a CD/DVD to install the operating system. I'm able to get into the BIOS and verify that it recognizes both the Hard Drive and the optical drive (I've tried several). I've also tried different OS disks; Windows XP, Ubuntu, Debian. With the XP CD I got the normal screen that says "To boot from disk press any key..." but then it goes to a solid black screen with no lettering. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

How do you have the boot order configured in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

I've tried different configurations of that too, Recalcitrant. I was able to finally get the PC to boot off of a floppy disk, but the disk lacks NTFS support and wouldn't allow me to access the CD-ROM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

What is the make and model of the motherboard that you are using?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

Please don't laugh.. it's an eMachines 301832 Socket PGA 370 System Board Florida TG.
ok.. well, you can laugh a little.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Home Edition are:
  • Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
This will be part of your problem, your CPU is only 2.2MHz.

#7 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

umm.. well, it's a little faster than that. It's a Celeron 500MHz processor on a PGA 370 Socket. It's this mobo: http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/eMachines-301832-Socket-PGA-370-System-Board-Florida-TG.html

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

I Googled your motherboard before posting that it was 2.2MHz.

I went back to make sure that I hadn't made a mistake, the site that I visited does list the motherboard using the 2.2MHz. I did a little more digging and found the following information at CPU World.

"Originally the Socket 370 (PGA370) was designed for Celeron Mendocino CPUs. These processors were manufactured in plastic PGA (PPGA) package, ran at speeds 300 MHz - 533 MHz, and had 66 MHz front-side bus and 2V core voltage."

The only way to tell for sure would be to identify the specific processor installed on the motherboard. But the bottom line is that at 300MHz that processor should be compatible.

Have you been able to boot from your CD/DVD drive?

If not, have you made the CD/DVD drive the first device in the boot order?

If my information is correct, the picture below should be your version of BIOS. Note the list at the top starting with Information, you will find Boot as one of these options. This is where you change the boot order.

Posted Image

#9 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

yeah, there's every indication that it's going to boot from the CDROM. For an XP installation disk it gets to the screen that says "To boot from CD press any key...". As soon as I hit a button the screen flashes as if it acknowledges the key press then goes to a completely blank screen and just sits there. I've been able to verify that the XP disk does work on another system. I know that the boot order is correct simply because of the "Press any key..." prompt and have tried changing the jumper settings from master/slave to cable select. Plus I've now tried different combinations of Primary/Secondary Master/Slave since I know that early on the Secondary Master/Slave IDE was added for CDROM support.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Have you had any problems with this optical drive?

Do you have another bootable disc to see if the drive works with it?

If you don't, you can download Ultimate Boot CD and burn it to a disc.

#11 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm not 100% certain that any of the 4 optical drives that I've tried are good. I've used them in the past, but they've been sitting for quite some time. I've also tried multiple disks (Windows XP Pro SP1, Debian 6.06, Mandriva, Suse 11.3, Fedora 10)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users