Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home only boots in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lanny1

lanny1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Hi,

I just bought a new WD 320 gig PATA hard drive and attempted to install Windows XP Home from my original installation disk. My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 with a Pentium 4 processor with 2 gigabytes of ram. Currently this new hard drive is the only hard drive that's connected with a 40 pin IDE cable to the primary slot on my motherboard.

My problem is that it will only boot in Safe mode. The installation shows up on my bios and I've checked disc management which shows that there is an installation with a single partition and 3.26 gigabytes of used space with 294 gigabytes of free space. It shows the condition as healthy. I've also run check disc and found no problems. I've repeated the installation process many times with the same results. I'd really be grateful if someone has a suggestion as to how I can boot this normally. I've also tried my install disc's repair function with no luck.

Thanks,

Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

1) You need to tell us what happens when you try to boot to normal mode.

2) When you say you "attempted" to install XP - what does that mean? Does the installation seem to complete normally? And exactly HOW are you trying to install it (step by step) and what are you using as an installation cd (original retail copy of XP, duplicated copy, home grown copy, oem, etc)?

#3 lanny1

lanny1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Allan,

I just noticed your reply. I had tried over a dozen times to install Windows Home XP using the original Dell Windows Reinstallation CD for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 2 which came with the computer that I originally purchased directly from Dell. Each time that I tried to install on my new hard drive it would go through the complete install process and wound up installing the OS but it would only boot in Safe mode. I called Dell and they said that they could fix the problem for a one time incident charge of $129. For $100 more I decided to buy another computer that's a lot more technically advanced than what I have and it'll be arriving in a few days. My computer still functions with the original hard drive that it came with so when I get the new one, I'll simply transfer everything over to the new one using an ethernet crossover cable. I appreciate your interest in trying to help.

Neil

Edited by lanny1, 13 October 2012 - 07:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users