Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HD Boot Issues

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 IT_N8

IT_N8

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Working on a Toshiba laptop w/ Windows 7 on it and the Hard drive crashed. I was able to repair a few of the sectors in order to clone it to the new HD. However, now it still won't boot up and says that it can't find a device. I'm trying to get it back to factory settings, but my buddy didn't burn the recovery disks! I was able to copy the "Toshiba Recovery Media Creator" folder over to my external HD, but not sure how or what to burn to get the recovery disks. So two questions... Any ideas how to get this fixed w/o restoring? If, I must restore, what file(s) should I burn to a disk? (no ISO's) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

If the drive is failing and the recovery discs were not created, the only option is to buy a new hard drive and order the recovery discs from Toshiba. How did you clone the drive and what software did you use?

Tekken

#3 IT_N8

IT_N8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I already have the new Drive in it. I've cloned the hard drive using Acronis. I am able to get to the files on the bad HD, and was able to copy files from the "Toshiba Recovery Media Creator" file. Is there no way to determine which one of those files need to be put on a boot disk?? I'd rather not pay Toshiba 27 dollars for "Free" disks that I already have the files for.

#4 IT_N8

IT_N8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Attaching the error that I get now when booting up, and the recovery file folder I copied from the bad HD. I tried to open some of the applications, but they wouldn't open. Not sure if I could just burn them to a disk to make the recovery disks or not.. A coworker mentioned trying the MBR tool on my Hiren's magic disk, but not sure if that would do the trick of repairing the boot or not? Not real familiar w/ MBR.

Attached File  ToshibaError.jpg   141.74KB   3 downloads
Attached File  toshiba.jpg   161.75KB   3 downloads

Thanks again,

#5 Xiphoidfugu

Xiphoidfugu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Complicated procedure. Look for a .wim file/files in the recovery folder. You need this and a few programs (GimageX, WinPE) to get this going. You may also need to get ahold of a Windows 7 disc (any) and perform a 'repair your system' to get it to boot into windows setup.

I've had to do something like this with my old Toshiba w/Vista. My problem was I couldn't boot the recovery partition. I used a Dell Vista disc to get it started, removed the disc and away it went using the stored image to reinstall Vista.

#6 IT_N8

IT_N8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Ok, I googled that error and it recommended creating a Windows 7 repair disc, which I did from my work PC. I booted up from it and it failed the repair. It says the the registry is corrupt and the >BootRec / ScanOS isn't finding a windows 7 Installation. I'm guessing, now I need the Win 7 install disc, which I only have the Pro one and not the Home version. Any ideas from here?

Thanks,

#7 Xiphoidfugu

Xiphoidfugu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Sorry, guess I should clarify. To install Win 7 on the new drive, you need the .wim file/files from the original hard drive. You have to boot into a WinPE environment on the new drive with GimageX on that WinPE disc too. I believe Hiren's BootCD actually has all the necessary tools. Use GimageX to mount .wim onto new blank hard drive.

Reboot. It might just go into restore/setup, and you can go from there.
If not,
Insert (bootable) Windows 7 disc. Reboot. Choose "Repair Your Computer" when it boots. Let it repair startup.
Reboot again.
Now you should be able to walk through the setup of Windows and it will finish off as if it's a fresh out of the box Toshiba with all drivers and programs installed.

#8 IT_N8

IT_N8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

I think I got it. I downloaded a Windows 7 install .ISO and the Windows 7 USB Boot tool. Then was able to boot off the USB and re-install Windows 7. Everything appears to be working great now. Thanks for all the assistance.

Thanks,

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

FWIW: Those "windows 7 iso" files are illegal downloads and increase the possibility of your system being compromised by malware, IMO.

Microsoft responds to Windows 7 student upgrade SNAFU with direct ISO download - http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/10/28/direct-download-ISO-dvd-for-windows-7-student-upgrade/

Are Digital River download links for Windows 7 legal for the general public to use - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/3f21f41a-514c-464f-89c3-fae48482b054

Are Digital River's download links illegal for use by people not - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/are-digital-rivers-download-links-illegal-for-use/9a121cdc-6c23-481a-bd5c-2753f2578423

Are Torrents Safe Info - http://www.infocarnivore.com/tag/are-torrents-safe/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 October 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#10 IT_N8

IT_N8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

So should my buddy just bite the bullet and pay Toshiba 27 dollars for replacement recovery discs??

Thanks for the info

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

If your buddy wants to be legal when intstalling Win 7...he should either obtain recovery disks from the system manufacturer or buy a legitimate version of Windows with legit license.

I suspect that he already knows that...comments re such have been plastered all over the Web for 4 years now. Google is a great source of material, using "illegal Windows" as the search phrase.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users