Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where can I get the FBI Moneypack Malware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nefretta

Nefretta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hi Guys!

I am looking for a link to where I can purposfuly download the FBI Moneypack Malware.
I am trying to teach someone on how to remove it, by getting it on my spair computer and showing them how to remove it first hand, but Iam not sure where to get it.

Anychance someone can give me a hand with this? Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hello Nefretta,

Before anything a general warning, never try to test out malware samples if you don't know what you're doing! The risk of inadvertently infecting another computer or a host computer is always present.

Keeping a computer clean and preventing infection is not only a matter of security products. I am no fan of any of the applications present in the link you posted, but no matter how good the Antivirus/Antispyware application, no product or product combination will protect a computer 100%.
Just as important is the browsing behavior of the computer's user and keeping all software up to date. For example outdated Java or Adobe Reader versions are commonly exploited by malware in order to infect a machine. 

For this reason testing malware samples with different security products is not very productive in my opinion. You would indeed need a site that is actively dropping the infection (which is hard to find, they are usually cleaned/taken off-line as soon as the malicious behavior is observed and reported). Downloading and dropping specific files isn't the same and doesn't give a good representation of how a "real" infection enters a system.

The quote above is from Elise found here but was addressed to another user:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic440176.html/page__view__findpost__p__2575618

And last but not least:

Bleeping Computer's main mission is to help people rid their computers of malware not infect them. For legal and liability purposes we do not endorse or permit the sharing of malware samples via the forums. There are plenty of 'in the wild' samples available by using unsafe browsing tactics.

By posting samples they may be taken and used for nefarious purposes. Which would defeat the main purpose of Bleeping Computer. 

The second quote above is from Animal found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic440176.html/page__view__findpost__p__2576159

So as you can see bleepingcomputer does not offer any help in this type of question for legal and liability purposes.
Posted Image

#3 Nefretta

Nefretta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Ya, I guess I could understand the Legal side of it.

Thanks anyways.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Instead, you can use Youtube and find a video showing how to remove. This would be much safer.
or
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-fbi-monkeypak-ransomware

Edited by Romeo29, 12 October 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

FBI Moneypak Scam - Its called GOOGLE -

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

If your intention is to infect a Virtual_machine (VM) for the purposes of testing, be aware that not all malware will work in that environment. Malware writers have been able to create malicious files which can detect if it is running in a VM. When detected as such, the malware is able to change its behavior by not running any malicious code which can infect the operating system. This is a deliberate technique to make analysis/detection more difficult for security researchers who use VMs to study infections in order to understand the attack methodology used and develop disinfection solutions.

WARNING: Some infections can cause so much damage to your system that they cannot be successfully cleaned or repaired. In some cases you may end up with a new paper weight instead of a compuer. In other cases you may have no option but to reformat, and perform a clean install of the operating system.

While I understand you may have good reasons to look for malware samples, BC is not the place to ask for assistance on how to obtain them. Again, as noknojon notes, you can perform a Google search which will provide that information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users