Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power supply

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

My friend's computer has gone out again. He has had SO many problems with this thing over the years it's ridiculous. The monitor quit working recently as well and for whatever reason, it doesn't turn on at all... That's unimportant at the moment, especially since my friend is blind, but I bring it up because it could also be a power problem and I'm wondering how to tell if the surge protector he's plugged into is okay...

The issue at hand...
It stopped turning on right. If you hold the power button in, the fans rev until you let go. I decided it was the power supply and told him I likely had one he could have.
I took out my old power supply and connected it, even though the connection wasn't exact. His motherboard had a 24 pin connection, as did his power supply. My power supply had 20 pins but, it's designed to fit. I figured, it wouldn't hurt terribly just to check it real quick. So, I did. I plugged just that in, plugged in the PS, and hit the button. Sure enough, it powered on... fans going nicely.
YAY, I thought. As I started unplugging things from his computer I realized it wasn't going to work. He has a 4 pin connection on the motherboard that mine didn't have, but my old power supply had a connector wrapped up so that was okay. But, while his dvd drives used 4 pin connections, like my power supply has, his hard drive is sata. My power supply doesn't have a connection for that, that's for sure. My power supply is probably 8 years old or so... Anyway... it's not going to work for his hard drive.
So... I started looking at amazon for power supplies.
Now, if I look up the EXACT model, the cheapest is a good $30 or more. But if I look up ATX 300 watt power supply... there's a lot more options. I found some that LOOK like it's what I need but, I sure don't want to order the wrong thing. (that is, if he decides to bother... if it costs much he's just going to ditch the pc as he already has a laptop)
His current power supply is by Bestec and the model # is atx-300-12eb3
Can anyone help me make sure I pick the right power supply? It has to be fairly cheap. The hard drive is the only sata connection so it has to be a combination of connections for it to work. It has the 24 pin connection and the 4 pin connection on the MB... and it has a dvd and a cd drive. (why bother with a cd drive if the dvd drive can do all that already????)
It's a gateway 564ge with xp on it... Let me know if you need any other information than that. Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

bump... nobody? :/

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

We would need the make and model of this computer in order to know what PSU would work with it.

There are some non-ATX PSUs out there that in most cases would have to be purchased from the manufacturer of the computer. Otherwise you will probably be able to purchase a variety of them online. There are two sites which I've had good dealing with, Newegg and Tigerdirect.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

We would need the make and model of this computer in order to know what PSU would work with it.

I mentioned the make and model of the computer AND the make and model of the current power supply.
At the moment I'm looking at one on craigslist that's local, $15.
I've bought from newegg before, but in looking at their prices they're always a little higher than I'd like. I can usually find something decent and a little more affordable on amazon... though, I'm not saying I will only buy from them.
Anyway, I think I'll be okay picking something out at this point. As long as wherever I look lists what kind of connections I need. The one I'm waiting to hear back on at craigslist will work, as long as it actually works. :)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yep... multitasking with the wife and computer.Posted Image

I actually had noticed this just a few minutes ago and did a quick search for you and found this PSU. I doubt your friend will find a cheaper price.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

My problem with searching is what people call the connectors. For instance, the psu you mentioned, it lists

Motherboard Connector 20+4 Pin
4-Pin P4 1
4-Pin Floppy Connector 4
4-Pin Peripheral Connector 1
SATA Power Connector 3

When I look up any of the 4-pin terms it uses there, and look at google images, I find a variety of differences. That's where my mild paranoia comes from in this purchase. I just don't know if one of those listed is what I need for his cd and dvd drives.

Here's a site with the power supply that's in it right now...
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300-watt-power-supply-bestec-atx-300-12eb3.php
It shows the connections under the picture, and the 4-pin connections I was talking about are listed as IDE here...
So, what is described is different between that and the psu you just showed. And unfortunately, that one has no pictures of its connectors.

This is the one I'm looking at locally... it has a picture and those connectors I see are just what I need.
http://fayar.craigslist.org/sys/3332109131.html

Anyway... I hope you can understand my slight confusion in this searching. My old psu has no sata, otherwise I could use that for him... and newer ones aren't going to have any of those IDE(or whatever they're called). I just need to make sure I have at least one of each. The IDE is connected to the dvd and cd drives, sata to hd.
Anyway... thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

I don't know what you are looking at with Craig's list, but make sure it is new and will guarantee that it works.

I forgot about your need for IDE connections, take a look at this Coolmax $19.99.

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Haven't heard from the one on craigslist yet but I imagine it's used, not new.
With that coolmax there, which spec listed is the IDE power connection?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

The specifications are listed at Newegg, they no longer carry this model, but still show the specifications.

Remember, Google is your friend.Posted Image

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'll probably keep searching. I'm not good at decisions, at least if I'm not 100% certain about something. I just don't like making decisions sometimes. ha.
That model on the two different sites, two different pictures as far as the power supply goes. The screw holes are in different places on each one... and neither would match perfectly with this tower... they'd both be able to have a couple screws line up but not all of them... which also has me wondering about the dimensions. So, I'll keep looking to make sure whatever I get will fit in size and connections.
It REALLY stinks that the exact model that it came with would cost SO much more. One of the things I hate most about shopping for parts is the variety of prices.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

This is an ATX form factor PSU which will provide you with the connectors and Wattage that will be required.

This is the best I can do for you.Posted Image

Edited by dc3, 13 October 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#12 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hey, I don't want to be a bother and if need be, I will take some more time and try to figure it out on my own. The only reason I am questioning so much is I don't want the wrong thing. You missed details in your first reply... then your second one. I want to be certain that EVERYTHING works out.
To be more specific, I'll restate first that those two sites had two different power supplies. They both were coolmax but they looked quite different. Same connections, same power, so there that's good... But, I pointed out screw holes. I guess I could drill some new holes in the tower if I needed to but, it's not that simple as that coolmax is MICRO.
Neither newegg or tiger direct listed the dimensions of the unit... but, I searched some more...
here's the coolmax(same picture as the tiger direct model) from their own site:
http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDetailsPower.asp?item=CM-300&details=packing&subcategory=80mm&category=single
Under dimensions

Unit Dimension (L x W x H): 4.90 x 3.90 x 2.50 in

A link again to the current psu:
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300-watt-power-supply-bestec-atx-300-12eb3.php
Under dimension

6" Wide X 3.5" Tall X 5.5 " Deep

4.9 inches wide to 6 inches wide. That's a bit of a difference. If it really is 4.9 inches wide, you could only screw it in to this tower on one side... the other side would have nowhere for the screws to go.
Again, I do not want to be a pest but if you can't help or I'm a bother, that's fine. I'll eventually find something I'll be comfortable purchasing... I appreciate your efforts.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

You are not being a bother, it seems that I may be the bother here.

The searches that I did not show specs., it seems that you have to go to a site such as Newegg to find proper specifications for the product you are interested. Tigerdirect doesn't seem to be interested in doing this. I had thought that I could google the part number and find the proper specs., I have been off line for over a year and it seems that what was dependable then is not now.

I must close for the evening, I will make this a personal project to find that PSU at a good price with the proper specs., ie... full size ATX form factor PSU with IDE connections and a 24pin connector.

#14 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Websites change all the time. Facebook "improves" itself all the time... and it drives me nuts. I went to search through stuff on hulu just the other day and was ready to pull my hair out as you couldn't refine searches as easily as you could before.

Thanks. I'm pretty good at finding some things online but some things require more and more digging and it gets overwhelming after a while. I figure I could find JUST the right psu eventually but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here as I figured someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. Things aren't always that simple though... especially when there's SOOOOO many options.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Millipede,

Thank you for your patience. I don't like to place blame when things don't go as they should, but I will admit that yesterday was the first time that I've spent most of a day at BC since I got married five months ago. This was accepted by my loving wife, but there was business as usual which had to be taken care of as it occurred which at the end of the day was proving to be distracting. My apologies.

The PSU which I suggested at Tigerdirect is the least expensive that I could find at $12.99. The only problem with it was the lack of four pin IDE power connectors. I did a search and found 15 pin SATA male to 4 pin female IDE HDD power cables at Tronixin for $2.69. With the addition of at least two cables this combination will still come in well below the price you were looking at and will have a warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users