Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

antivirus

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 soimcrazy

soimcrazy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

My other laptop crapped out so I picked up a new one.

I need an antivirus. I've had Nortons for a few years with good luck. How do the others compair?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405.html/page__view__findpost__p__1637
Hi -
Start reading from the link above and many various Antivirus programs are listed - Also read all the Pinned articles at the top of this forum area -
We find that no one program is better than "all the others" regardless of what you do or do not pay.

I have never paid for any Antivirus program or Firewall program, but I feel quite protected with what I have installed -

Many condemned Norton due to its bad performance a couple of years back (only slightly better now) and they all moved to Kaspersky or ESETnod32 paid versions.
A Good antivirus program is one that you feel happy with, and you think protects you -

I use Free Microsoft Security Essentials, and see no reason to change -
Always be sure to Fully uninstall one Antivirus prior to installing another, as 2 make the situation much worse -

Thank You -

#3 ET_Explorer_2012

ET_Explorer_2012

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hi, soimcrazy, I am currently using AVG Premium Security on my computer,
which also has a tool called "Active Tune" which can analyze and fix problems
in your computer. So that your computer responds much quicker.

But since your only talking about Antivirus, I also thown in internet security also
if you decide to buy it. The best antivirus, that I was using for awhile was AVG Antivirus?

Before, I was using Norton, PC Tools, Mcafee, Avast, and Comodo.
Just a warning When I using Avast and Comodo, a long time ago, they do contain Trojans
and other bad things.

http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Independent Anti-virus software Comparisons & TestsThese kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Read Anti-virus Testing Websites: An overview of testing sites

Anti-virus Software Reviews
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

I recommend avast!. It is fast, free and effective.
http://www.avast.com/

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Before, I was using Norton, PC Tools, Mcafee, Avast, and Comodo.
Just a warning When I using Avast and Comodo, a long time ago, they do contain Trojans and other bad things.

100% garbage -
PC Tools is always rated in the lower ranks -
Norton is a program you either like greatly or not - (for personal ideas only)
McAfee is always rated in the mid to higer ranks -
avast! and Comodo are always rated in the highest ranks; And from these only PC Tools is actually cr**p simply due to their claims mainly.

You may have downloaded from a bad site to pick up an infection, but the 2 programs you mention are not carrying infections as you claim.
Currently avast! is about the higher rated free antivirus, with AVG about the lowest rated free version of the "bigger companies" -

There are 100s of Antivirus programs, from Rising (Chinese) to Kaspersky (Russian), but I use free MSE and have no problems on a daily basis
The one you chose is only the one that suits you at any given time, and there is no reason to condem any program without stating a reason -

Thank You -

#7 parihar7

parihar7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

Hello,

You can choose among various best antivirus, but I want to suggest you to use always a licensed version of any kind of antivirus. to protect your computer system completely you have to use an anti spyware also.
I recommend Advanced System Protector. I am using this and it is working fine.

Edited by parihar7, 23 October 2012 - 04:30 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

...you have to use an anti spyware also.

Why pay when there are free alternatives like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

#9 parihar7

parihar7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

...you have to use an anti spyware also.

Why pay when there are free alternatives like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware.

I think free versions don't fulfill the security needs of your system. If free versions are good enough then why people go for a paid licensed version ?
Please can you guide me if I use a free version then my system is still safe or not??

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

Free versions are an enticement for people to try out the program and if they like it, to purchase the pro version. Essentially its an advertisement of a product hoping the user will buy it. Both free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware offer the same scanning/detection/removal features as the paid versions but work as stand-alone scanners. The paid versions provide real time protection and additional features. See Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

#11 parihar7

parihar7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

Hello quietman7,

Thanks for your guidance.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

You're welcome.

#13 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:01 PM

I prefer Avast, Avira or even Microsoft Security Essentials. All offer free versions.

Edited by Sightless, 27 October 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#14 StuckInReboot

StuckInReboot

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

You do not need a paid antivirus to have good protection, but paid antiviruses often offer more "extras" or added features. Depending on what you use your computer for whether its browsing websites or testing out new software frequently, will determine which antivirus software will suit you best.

#15 Icanhazrootkit

Icanhazrootkit

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

I recommend avast!. It is fast, free and effective.
http://www.avast.com/

Except it isn't necessarily. I found Avast to be A Vast waste of time.
It would appear that ZeroAccess can effectively render both Avast and Malwarebytes "expired" and as effective as using a blind chihuahua as a guard dog. It just sits there shivering and makes a mess on the carpet while a dozen masked men back up a truck and casually walk out with... everything... including the blind chihuahua's food dish.

While Avast scores very high in tests, so does AVG free.
If an antivirus can be disabled by telling it that it has passed its freshness date, then it isn't an antivirus at all, but more like a protection racket. I don't care what sort of grades it got in the sterile environment of a testing lab.

The thing that annoys me about AVG free is the self-promotion popups, but it is fiercely functional... Grisoft is just mightily proud of its AV and maybe rightly so, but I don't really need to be reminded constantly with popups that steal application focus at just the wrong moment.

AVG free is as good as AVG pro in most respects for most users and Pro is a really outstanding AV and scans the system from boot at install, Avast doesn't appear to do so unless you specifically run a boot scan AFTER install. I don't see how it can possibly take control of system security if something has already taken that control away from it... AVG can wrest control of an already infected system by scanning and installing at boot before most viruses have even had their morning coffee. Probably why Avast can be so easily fooled into installing as already expired... and what sort of "free" AV expires anyway?

AVG and Avast get near perfect detection marks in tests (on a clean system), but Avast is only "free" for a period of time, after which it demands an activation key and sits there in pedestrian fashion watching impassively as whatever crawls in under the door takes up residence on your HDD in precisely that way in which an actual AV program does not. When AVG Pro expires, it doesn't update definitions but it doesn't make popcorn and leave the front door ajar like Avast.

While Comodo gets only "pretty fair" marks, it does catch the really evil stuff before it can launch and it's freeware for personal use (actually free ,not pretend-free) much like AVG free. It does throw popups for paid assistance/chat/remote cleanup services, but it allows these to be shut off while just reporting when it is running a scan and it doesn't pollute your desktop with megalomaniacal random self-promotion banners (like AVG free) that cause you to type into thin air while writing that important presentation or essay, or get you killed in game because you lost application focus in the midst of a boss party.

Avast let me down severely... which is why I'm here posting in the malware log forum. So did Malwarebytes, and for the same reason.
Comodo found and killed most of the nasty bits that Zeroaccess dragged in. Nasty bits that Avast and Malwarebytes ignored because they were on strike.
So neither should ever be referred to as "free," they aren't... They are "caveatware" and subject to being disabled because of it.

When I'm done here getting the help I need mending my systems, I will be making a choice between going back to AVG (and I might even scrape up the bucks for the pro version just to remove most of the popups), or I'll stick with Comodo for a while and see how that works out. I think Comodo has an interesting strategy and it could very possibly become one of the top 5 with a little work and a little time.

One of the other criteria I use to gauge an AV is whether it uninstalls cleanly.
I haven't seen as big a mess as Avast leaves on its way out since Norton... and I wouldn't let my dog load Norton... If my dog had a computer... if I had a dog.
Norton to its credit at least has a removal tool you can download which completely removes it, cleanly, even if portions have already been removed... they hide the tool download under obscure links and force you to go on a little treasure hunt to find it, but the tool actually works very well.
Avast makes its removal tool easily found, and the tool appears to be a complete waste of time. Attempting to uninstall from Windows add/remove programs is a disaster, and the removal tool is only a little bit more effective than nothing at all once an attempt has been made to uninstall it from control panel. What a mess. I may actually have to reinstall it to remove it cleanly.

Just my two cents. YMMV.
I'm not an expert by any means but I've got a lot of miles on my odometer, and the last two weeks have all been city miles thanks in part to Avast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users