Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Bad to Worse

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Schmoikel

Schmoikel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hello to all the experts here at Bleeping Computers.

I was in the process of following your steps from the "Preparation Guide" when my computer decided to crash big time.
Initially I had my homepage hijacked by something called start.search.us. That by itself didn't seem to be a big deal. I was proceeding through the steps and made it to step 8 (Create a GMER Log). Approximately 5 minutes into the scan my entire screen went all screwy. It looked like the GMER scan program filled the screen and scrambled itself.

Now my computer won't work at all. After a restart, the computer locks up on the black screen with the green progress bar (Microsoft Corp underneath). I tried a safe mode reboot but it stops loading at the following line of text, "Windows\System32\Drivers\avgidshx.sys" This was the same line of text that was being scanned during the GMER scan.

After another restart (so many I lost count) my computer reads the following, "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:...." Several options are listed but even after inserting the original operating disc to repair, I can't get past the green progress bar thing.

Help!!! I'm moments away from turning this laptop into a very unaerodynamic flying brick.

(I'm typing this on my wife's Macbook, in case anyone was wondering how I could post)

Edited by Schmoikel, 11 October 2012 - 01:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users