Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovered from crash, now documents are missing.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shortshannon

shortshannon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi,
I have a laptop running Windows XP. A few days ago, I got the blue screen of death. I was able to get into the recovery console, ran chkdsk /r and got rid of the blue screen. The next problem was that after the windows splash screen appeared, all I got was a black screen. When I would try and do safe mode, it got halfway through loading and quit on me.
Today I brought it to our company's IT person, who managed to get it to a restore point of a few days ago, and got Windows to load successfully. Now the strange thing is, all of the installed programs are there, but the 3 user profiles we had set up are now gone, and we cannot see any documents, photos, etc. that were saved on the hard drive. These files would have been created well before the restore date.
Any ideas? The IT person is going to take another look at it, I just wanted to see what I might be in for.
If we cannot get the files to show up, any recommendations on programs that might successfully find them still on the hard drive?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hard to tell without knowing what the IT guy did to get windows to load.

You can try this program: Recuva

There are others like GetDataBack as well....

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 shortshannon

shortshannon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I believe he said he went into the recovery console, found a list of restore points and went back to one from the 8th. I did some searching online, and the closest thing I can see to what is going on relates to missing user profiles.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

If user profiles were damaged/removed...I'd run the appropriate diagnostic on the hard drive before moving any further.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users