Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:18 PM
I am here because my business computer as been infected.
First of all, I do my emailing through GMAIL. In a typical day, I will receive about 30-50 emails in spam. One day I noticed my spam folder was drastically being overrun with spam. The spam I was receiving all had "message could not be sent". By the end of the day, I had over a 1000 all saying the same thing. The next morning there were over 4000. I checked my settings under the 'accounts and imports' and noticed there were over 16,000 that still needed to be retrieved.
I spoke with the person in charge of setting up my account which goes through cPanel, and he told me he was notified that my email email@example.com contained some type of virus. cPanel, had to change all the passwords on the account that included premier-gymnastics.com. I was told to scan my computer and be sure it is trojan/malware free.
I first used my free version of AVG to do a scan which nothing showed up. Then from a list of programs, cPanel found effective in scanning for such viruses, I used HouseCall, from trendmicro and did a scan. This turned up with nothing. Then I proceeded to go to the next program on the list, MBAM from Malwarebytes. I first did a Flash scan which did find 4-5 worms/tojans which I then removed. They I did a FULL scan which found 1 other problem and again deleted.
After doing the scans and deleting the issues, I proceeded to cPanel to change all of our passwords. This was done from my personal, business computer. I was able to get in and access all 16,000 emails and delete them. I proceeded to go into my GMAIL to change the password to the new one and I was locked out again. Did the whole process a few times (changing passwords through cPanel and then trying to change GMAIL)with the same results. I kept getting locked out.
The person who handles my business account told me to try and set up passwords on a different computer which I have done this morning and finally seems to be working. Therefore, my personal, business computer seems to be singled out as the problem.
My computer is an HP laptop and running 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate.