Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New graphics card looks like crap even after drivers installed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Planex

Planex

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

So I have to replace my old graphics card and opted for the Geforce 630GT because it was all I could afford. I put it in, downloaded the latest drivers and it looks like crap. At 1080x1920 the edges of the screen are off the display to the point that I can't even see the start button or the taskbar. And even the display looks... pixelated and not at all sharp. I poked around in the Nvidia Control Panel and Widows settings but didn't see anything that stuck out at me. I'd love to give you guys more information, but I'm not really sure what you need or where to find additional details. Any help would be appreciated and if you tell me where to find pieces of information I'd be more than happy to give it to you! Thanks!

Graphics Card: EVGA Nvidia GeForce 630GT 1GB GDDR5
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD (connected with HDMI cable)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planex

Planex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

UPDATE: Just for the hell of it, I hooked it up with a DVI cable and the situation was instantly resolved. Can anyone expound on this with an explanation?

#3 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

I am doubting this would be the issue but... I've had a little trouble with graphics cards in the past where I had to go in and uninstall any other display that was listed to make sure it was trying to use the right one. I remember the first time I ever got a new graphics card... I installed it correctly, drivers and all, and made sure my monitor was plugged into it instead of the pc and I had big problems with how things looked. I don't remember Exactly what I did but I know I had to uninstall or at least manually tell it NOT to use the on-board graphics. Perhaps, just perhaps it was a conflict such as that where the computer was trying to connect with on-board graphics OR your previous card. I think I'd check in device manager and disable to uninstall any graphics you are not using. I don't remember if that was all I had to do or if I had to change anything in bios or anything like that. I think device manager is where I would start though. Not entirely sure.
Glad you got it looking good now.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

It would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

If it is a custom build, please post the make and model of the motherboard.

If there is on board video it may be necessary to disable it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users