Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowww computer after Blue death on boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seanbateman7

seanbateman7

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

So I believe it was monday, I came into work and noticed my machine had turned itself off over the weekend. Then when I went to boot, it hung on detecting IDE drives. After doing a hard reset I got it to get past there but then it would start its "boot loop" so I went to boot options and turned off automatic restart after system failure and read the blue screen. Unfortunately it appears that I lost the note I took on the matter leaving me pretty clueless as to what it was. so fast forward, I pull my HDD and bring it to a coworkers computer and slave it. We get it to boot and we run chkdsk on it. It found a bunch of errors in the first stage and deleted them and after the check was finished I re-installed my HDD. Windows booted up, it was really really slow though and concerns me. I ran ad-aware, malwarebytes, and avast! but found nothing but a 8 tracking cookies with ad-aware. I try defragmenting, and it says it can't access volume F and it tells me to run chkdsk. So I do. I wrote down some of the things that it did

Deleting index entry 603659~1.xml in index $I30 of file 5768
Deleting index entry collectedData_1005.xml in $I30 of the file 5768
" " " RP27 index $I30 fiel 10360
" " " rp.log index $I30 file 16818
" " " Example-office-3.sdt index $I30 file 28206
" " " Example-3.SDT indext $I30 file 28206

I'm not sure what this means. So after about a 4 hour chkdsk, I boot back up and launch the defrag. First thing I notice is a huge, the biggest I've seen, red bar in the beginning of fragmented files. so I ran the utility and it takes a couple of hours to complete. This is odd because this computer is still fairly new and I haven't deleted that much off of my drive, I figure it most be related to the Blue Screen I had seen in the beginning.

I control + alt + del all the time, but everything in there appears to be normal, i google things I'm unsure about and they come back as clear and normal.

Today, I booted up and an MSDos window pops up and in the title bar it says reg.exe in it, I google that and found out it's related to my registry making me slightly nervous.

My computer is Windows XP SP3, but I could of been SP2 two days ago, windows did an update not to long ago I'm unsure what for I wasn't at my computer.

So I'm hoping I can get some help with these issues.

Also this all started after I downloaded a freeware timeclock. I googled the program and read two reviews but did not see anything negative about it. after my computer booted the first time I uninstalled it immediately hoping that would help with my sluggish computer. I just checked my downloads folder and the application is called "CKZTimeClock"

Thanks!
-Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seanbateman7

seanbateman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Also if you want the install file I can attach that. Maybe you could sandbox it and see what happens

#3 seanbateman7

seanbateman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

Also I forgot to mention that I have partitioned my hard drive with UBUNTU. and while I was in the bootloop just for kicks i tried booting into it and was able to do it successfully. but slowly.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I would think that running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...is called for. These are normally available at the respective sites of the hard drive manufacturers. Some system manufacturers also provide such a tool.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 seanbateman7

seanbateman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Whats the easiest way to get the manufacturer and model without cracking my case again? Big man always gets worked up when he sees me taking apart my computer

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Double-click Disk Drives...the detail can be Googled to find the manufacturer, if it isn't obvious.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users