Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse only working in one USB port

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hello, while re-arranging my work room I decided that my mouse would be better plugged onto one of the other USB ports on my laptop, but found that it would not work in any of the other ports, (the ports all work fine with anything else plugged in to them). I have tried switching the system off, plugging the mouse into another port and then re-starting, but, no difference, only working in one port. This is not a serious problem, but it's bugging me and I want to know why this happens!. Anyone got any ideas?.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

Computer is an HP Pavillion dv6000.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Try uninstalling and re-installing the Universal Serial Bus Controller drivers.

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

If when you open the Device Manager all you see is the icon of a monitor click on the box with the [+] to the left of it to expand the menu.

Scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and right-click the first USB controller, then click Uninstall to remove it.

Repeat this with all of the USB controllers.

After you restart the computer Windows will scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that were uninstalled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 trouble at mill

trouble at mill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

Update: I did all that, and got "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device" followed by "Found driver software but encountered an error while trying to install it", and then: "The driver installation is missing a necessary entry, contact hardware vendor" followed by: "device driver software not successfully installed", and the last message:"Device driver successfully installed", but, the original situation remains, all ports are working again but the mouse will still only work in the one usb port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users