Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burning .Flac Audio Files to DVD-R?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Is it possible to burn .flac files to a DVD-R to playback through my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. I could of course play .flac files on my PC but they are usually too large to burn onto a single blank CD so I wondered if it would be possible to burn several .flac format albums onto a DVD-R and play them back in that format?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

What model is it? Check the specification and see if it can play FLAC format, there are units that can.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. It is the Panasonic BT-SC270 model. It doesn't mention .flac files in the owners manual but I thought it might be worth a chance that it would play them anyway!!.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:22 AM

If I'm right in guessing it might be the SC-BT270 player unit in the SC-BTT270 3D Home Cinema System, then specifications don't suggest it handles FLAC:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Entertainment/Blu-ray+Home+Cinema/SC-BTT270/Specification/7295745/index.html?trackInfo=true

You could always throw a FLAC file at it and see what it does...

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

Yes that's the one platypus. I think your solution of just burning one to disc and trying it is a good idea, but as most .flac albums are larger than the 700 or so mb that a blank CD holds it brings me back to my question of is it possible to burn .flac audio files to a 4.5GB DVD-R disc?. I have tried to do this using ImgBurn unsuccessfully but wondered if it was possible with another program/method eg.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

It's just a data file like any other. How was it unsuccessful?

Can you find a small FLAC somewhere? e.g. test files from Linn:

http://www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads-testfiles.aspx

Edited by Platypus, 12 October 2012 - 06:23 AM.

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

I have tried to do this using ImgBurn unsuccessfully

Try the UDF setting under options. as discussed here;

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=17367

I use Nero to burn data DVD's but it's not free.

You should be able to use Windows to burn data also.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Burn-a-CD-or-DVD

Not what you asked . . . but . . . some other options;

You could always decode to wav. (I use Traders Little Helper, or Flac Frontend)
Audacity will also decode Flac to Wav, or other formats.

Burn a wav data dvd. (If the Panasonic won't read the Flac files)

You could decode the Flac files as wavs, and copy to an external hard drive. Then plug the External into the Panasonic via the USB.

Does it absolutely have to be Flac or wav? There are ways to make an audio DVD, but you'll need a video editor, and an author capable of authoring a DVD with PCM (Wav) audio. Not many free apps available will burn PCM (wav). But you can find free stuff to create/burn audio DVDs with MP2, or AC3 audio.

Archive.org has tons of free Flac files and live audience recordings available for legal DL.

http://archive.org/details/etree

Hope this helps.
Mark

Edited by 12x48y, 12 October 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#8 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Nothing that has not been said but I would be inclined to convert to FLACs to hq mp3 (you can go up to 320kbps). Unless you have a very high quality audio system attached you probably won't be able to tell the difference and can play the dvd anywhere. Try it and see, always keep the FLACs. Stick the files on a data DVD, just as if you were backing up PC files. UDF should not be necessary unless you have a file over 2GB, highly unlikely with mp3 or FLAC. Unlike an audio cd, you will be able to see the audio files listed on the disk in Windows Explorer or equivalent.

On the question of burning, I wouldn't use ImgBurn myself (I also use Nero). There are more user-friendly free apps like CDBurnerXP, Tiny Burner, google for others.

Edited by Nanobyte, 12 October 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the answers guys, I tried a .flac file on my USB stick and it didn't work, BR didn't recognize the file. I already do use .wav files for burning cd's, just wanted to know if it was possible to do this with the largest and at present best quality that is .flac. Again thanks.

#10 zzz7

zzz7

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

http://www.pcfreetime.com/

Format Factory is the best converter on the net............just convert them to *.mp3 and burn them to a CD. :)

Edited by zzz7, 20 March 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#11 patrickmaleky

patrickmaleky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

you may refer to this step by step guide on How to Burn 24-bit/48kHz FLAC to DVD Audio, 24-bit /96 kHz FLAC to DVD-A, 24-bit /192 kHz FLAC to music DVD.

Edited by patrickmaleky, 23 August 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

just burn audio cd's with the flac files... 80 mins a disc

Unless the flacs' were created with an analogue recording with hardware that supports 24bit 96khz INPUT (most have output only) it's probably just a cd quality recording anyhow (16bit, 44.1khz), that has been expanded for no logical reason or audio advantage at all. I see this all the time... as a sound engineer it makes me chuckle. It's like taking a 13Mp photo of a 8Mp photo and expecting the image quality to get better.

Edit: Unless you have 5.1 channel flacs to burn DVD audio is pointless also...

Edited by TsVk!, 02 September 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#13 lalmeda

lalmeda

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Is it possible to burn .flac files to a DVD-R to playback through my Panasonic Blu-Ray player. I could of course play .flac files on my PC but they are usually too large to burn onto a single blank CD so I wondered if it would be possible to burn several .flac format albums onto a DVD-R and play them back in that format?.

It depends on your Blu-Ray Player.

The answer is yes if it does. I have a Samsung and I was able to Burn FLAC with Power ISo and it works. Nero Roxio and all burning software does not suppor FLAC You can Burn as a Data File but I had no luck with my Blu Ray Players to play.

I tried with Dark Side Of The Moon  and it went from 3.5 GB to 4.5 GB with wave. As you know a CD will not support 24 bit only 16 bit, plus it can only handle 700 MB as you know.

Also they do have 32 bit 96 Khz.

But I have not found any files with 32 bit. If you look at your sound card to see if it supports 24 bit which is Studio Quality, which it should.SACD

I hope this helps you.

If you do burn with Power Iso and you cannot play it, its because of your Blu Ray Player.

Reason I also have a Sony Blu Ray and it cannot play what my Samsung can.

One other thing I dont think you can fit 2 disc on a DVD because FLAC file are so large but you can fill it to capacity if you want.

USA

Tampa Fl.

Edited by lalmeda, 16 June 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

All consumer CD recordings are released in 16bit/44.1khz... It doesn't matter what you do to the files they will always be CD quality. You can expand them to any size/disk you want but they will always be the same quality as the original recording or less. CD quality or less. (quality is lost every time the file is compressed, FLAC is a type of compression, like MP3)

The only way to get a higher quality than CD, of commercial recordings, is to record vinyl to WAV.

See my last post also...

#15 lalmeda

lalmeda

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

You are right.

FLAC is compresion just not as much as mP3.

You can buy SACDs online if you want to pay 20 to 30 dollars a disc.

Comparisson of Audio Compression Link

http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/audio/

MP3 vs AAC vs FLAC vs CD

http://www.stereophile.com/features/308mp3cd/

HDtracks & Pono vs. CD & MP3 - Is High Definition Music Worth It

Edited by lalmeda, 17 June 2014 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users