Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Install External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheArcane

TheArcane

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

The disc drive on my computer tower stopped working several months ago, and I recently had to order a new disc drive so I could install some software for a screen calibrator I purchased. I'm planning on getting a new computer in the next few months that will allow me to process my photography faster, so I ended up just ordering a cheap external disc drive (USB 2.0 Slim External DVD ROM CD-RW Combo Drive Writer) because I didn't want to make a big investment. I plugged it into my computer, and it tried to automatically install the device like it normally does. However it wasn't able to, and it popped up with this message...

Posted Image

I tried restarting my computer and trying it again, I also tried installing any pending updates that my computer had yet to install and restarted the computer. Neither obviously worked. I'm not sure I can provide any other information, but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Use the installation CD that came with the drive. That will fix the error.
If failed because it couldn't easily find the driver online.

#3 TheArcane

TheArcane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

If I don't have a disc drive to run the disc though, how would I install it? It didn't come with a CD anyway.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if it is seen there?

If it is there try uninstalling the driver, restart the computer and Windows will install new drivers.

This should be a plug and play device which will use native drivers installed in your Windows operating system.

Edited by dc3, 13 October 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

What is the name of the external drive? (exact name) and ill search for the drive and paste the link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users