Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install freeware cleanly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

From Freeware Genius.

Lately we have been getting so many users coming to BC wondering how they unwittingly download toolbars and all kinds of crapware via freeware. I guess this has become an epidemic because Samer Kurdi of Freeware Genius has written a complete guide to dubious bundling practices. Maybe this should be a sticky. It just reinforces that users need to pay close attention when downloading anything.

http://www.freewaregenius.com/how-to-install-freeware-cleanly-a-catalog-of-the-most-dubious-crapware-installation-methods/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Freewaregeniuscom+%28freewaregenius.com%29

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

I have been posting the following warning after suggesting a download that I haven't looked at recently. One of the downloads I use to suggest now includes a third party software.

Please be aware:
Recently many free downloaded programs are including unwanted or unneeded third party software. For this reason it is important that when you open a program and begin the installation you need to read and understand what you are being offered. Often there will be a third party software which will already have a check mark in the acceptance box that if left that way will install the third party software. This may or may not be applicable to the download that I've suggested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

About a month ago I downloaded a program and used VirusTotal to scan for malware before
recommending it to another user. I downloaded from the developer's site.
After seeing the report, I thought I would do the developer a favor by giving him a head's up on what
was found. Below is the report and his response. Needless to say, I did not recommend his program
and I am not at all convinced that his response was totally honest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

The installer indeed include optional software offers, that is why it is being flagged by some installers.
It is important to note that the offers ARE optional, and you can opt-out of installing anything.
I'm also keeping real malware and spyware out of the offer path, so if you encounter an actual spyware, please let me know and it will be promptly removed.
Adware is not dangerous for your system.

Some AVs incorrectly flag the file without an explanation of the potential problem or risk with the file.
For example: TrendMicro-HouseCall for whatever reason calls it riskware, when it is not. or AntiVir's flag doesn't really explain what the issue with it may be. ESET is also unclear. On the other hand AVG's flag couldn't be more clear.

Now on another note, if you don't want to use the installer, you can still use the standalone version by clicking on "More downloads..." and choosing the 32bit/64bit version of Core Temp depending on your OS. These files are simple zip archives, and do not contain any potentially unwanted software.

Kind regards,
Arthur Liberman
ALCPU
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image

TrendMicro-HouseCall --------- TROJ_GEN.F47V0912

Fortinet -------- Riskware/InstallIQ

ESET-NOD32--------- a variant of Win32/InstallIQ

AntiVir--------- APPL/InstallIQ.Gen5

AVG -------- AdInstaller.InstallQ

DrWeb ----------- Adware.W3i.9
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users