Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

burning subtitles into video with ffmpeg

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nikhil the Great

Nikhil the Great

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hello.
I don't actually know a thing about computer programming, nevertheless, I use ffmpeg (which they say is meant for developers) to convert my DVDs (after decryption) to play on other devices of mine. Since I do it for my own purposes, I expect there isn't anything illegal.
However, I recently developed an interest in adding the subtitles to the video stream (hardcoding is the term, I believe) and I tried to do so as described here. I also followed this link to understand how to set up fonts on windows. I added the environment variables "FC_CONFIG_DIR" and "FC_CONFIG_FILE" as described, and I also downloaded this configuration file and extracted it to the place the environment variables point to. Yet, ffmpeg tells me that, and I quote,

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
[Parsed_ass_0 @ 02c50840] No usable fontconfig configuration file found, using f
allback.
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

and the video gets converted but without the subtitles.
Can someone tell me what I've done wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hello
Are you using the PC version or the Mac version?

For the PC Video Conversion

For the Mac version ffmpegX for MacOSX

Also

ffmpeg

FFmpeg is a complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video. It is a command line tool to convert one video file format to another. It also supports grabbing and encoding in real time from a TV card. Several FrontEnds/GUIs available like WinFF, Avanti, AutoFF, Xpegt, GVC.

And of course the homepage

These might be worth a look.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Nikhil the Great

Nikhil the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

I'm using windows 7 starter, and I prefer not to use GUIs for tasks like these because they make it relatively difficult to make use of features like concatenation. Also, I've looked through the homepage and haven't found anything helpful.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

How about the Videohelp forum page I linked for video conversions. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on that website.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Nikhil the Great

Nikhil the Great
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I looked at this again and found that adding the environment variable "FONTCONFIG_PATH" seems to do the trick.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Thank you for posting back your results
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users