Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, My Computer Has A Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brownboi79

brownboi79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:16 PM

I let my brother use my computer for a while til he got a virus in it. he told me that the computer keeps
restarting after he logs in. So I had a friend take the hard drive and put it as the slave in his computer. he
told me that when he restarted his computer, the same thing happend. he just took off the hard drive that
has the virus and his computer went back to normal. is the hard drive any good? I just want to fix it cause its a 80gb or else i would buy another one. any help would be appreciated

the computer that had this is a

Compaq IPAQ 500mhz
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gb

256mb RAM

brownboi79

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:05 AM

Do you have another computer available?..If not you could ask your friend to visit the following site, download AVG FREE, set up and make a rescue disk. Switch the hard drive back to master and insert the disk into your floppy. Assuming that your floppy drive is set to be the first device in the boot sequence in your BIOS settings.

If your unsure about changing the settings in the BIOS let us know so we can guide you further.

The rescue disk should find something on booting up provided your friend updates AVG immeadiatley after installing it and before making the rescue disk.

Report back and we will go from there.

Site as below;

AVG

Good luck
Darren De Wilde :thumbsup:

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:39 AM

Hi there,

Do you have seperate user accounts set up for you and the other users of your PC? If so, and you have not done so already, try to log in under your main account, or the primary Administrator account and see if that works.

You may also try starting up in Safe Mode, Windows will start up with only the neccessary processes to function normally. To do this, tap F8 repeatedly directly after start-up, and follow the onscreen instructions.

You should consider installing the following software if you have not already done so.

Things you should have - Here are some free, recommended Apps.:

An Anti-Virus Program: AVG Anti-Virus

A Firewall: ZoneAlarm

Spyware/Adware/Malware/etc....:

Adaware SE

Spybot S & D

SpywareBlaster

SpywareGaurd

Recommended readings:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware from Your Computer

Using Ad-Aware SE to remove Spyware & Hijackers from Your Computer

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware, Hijackers, and Malware

Using SpywareGuard to protect your computer from Spyware/Hijackers

The two base protection tools that are pretty much a must these days are an Anti-Virus and a Firewall. If you do not have this protection, I recommend getting them.
Also, you should definately install and run Spybot, and Adaware if you have not already, they may find what is giving you problems.

If none of this works, you should post back, and Im sure that this topic can be moved to the appropriate forum, where you can get advice to use HijackThis, and find out what the trouble is.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:

Edited by nosnhoj#3, 19 March 2006 - 12:40 AM.

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:52 AM

Can the computer be booted to Safe Mode? How long has this been going on? If he ca boot to the BOot Menu, has he try Last known good configuration? This is also a sign of a hardware conflict. Has he added a USB, or PCI device to his system? You can also download The Ultimate Boot Disk and use the built in antivirus programs. This is a substantial download so a broadband connection, while not required, is recommended.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:41 AM

once you get back up and running got to this sight and let them do a scan its free http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php it will scan for malware and gray ware and also clean them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users