Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copied Folders Are Larger Than The Original Folder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Benquo

Benquo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

This issue is absolutely frustrating. I recently did a reinstall of Windows on my Gateway LT20 laptop. I did so from the recovery console (Press F8 at boot, restore from recovery partition and retain user data).

After the reinstall, I decided to Backup the rather large collection of personal files that I have on the C: drive. (Actually, this would be a second backup) As I began copying folders over to the external drive, permission dialogs would occasionally pop up......very odd as I am the sole user of the computer and am the admin. I noticed an "account unknown" set as the owner in the security tab and I figured that it was because the files were carried over from the previous install and the unknown account was just my admin account from before. So, I took ownership of each folder (and selected "replace owner on subcontainers and objects). Alas, I was still getting the UAC permission dialog when copying some subfolders. I said 'screw it" and just clicked "OK" to get on with the backup. This is followed by a "do you want to merge folder A with folder A?" dialog. And so the folder begins copying to the new drive with it's subfolders

Here's the weird part:

After I click "OK" the displayed amount of data left to be copied shows zero.....but it keeps copying data. And it just keeps going. The status bar of the copy dialog box shows a smaller amount of data to copy than there actually is in the source folder. And by the time the main folder is done copying, the resulting folder is larger than the original O-o What the deuce?! The properties dialog box tells me there is more files present than what's in the original folder.

I.....I just want to copy my damn music and photos to a portable drive. Why do you curse me computer gods?!! *shakes fist at sky* I'm very confused and want to know why and how a source folder that is 18GB turns into a folder that is 28GB when copied.

OH, GLORIOUS UPDATE: Just finished copying one folder. The resulting copy is 22.4GB while the original is 18.1GB.....yet it is missing 73 files from the original.....

Edited by Benquo, 10 October 2012 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Benquo

Benquo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

*kick*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users