Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have You Ever Seen Anything Like This?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CommMajor101

CommMajor101

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hi everyone,
Newbie here. I'm actually trying to fix my mom's computer. Every time she logs onto her computer she gets this orange box that has detected some like 107 spyware things and it wants her to buy the software to fix it. However, I'm a little hesitate and want to do some research on this first. Some of the "spyware" that is being detected looks like the following examples:
112.2o7[2].txt, 2o7[2].txt, ad-logics[2].txt, adopt.hotbar[2].txt, ads.enliven[1].txt, ads.specificpop[2].txt, adserver.trb[1].txt, z1.adserver[2].txt, adserver.trb[1].txt, adserving.autotrader[2].txt, advertising[2].txt, servedby.advertising[2].txt, atdmt[2].txt. Obviously, I won't type all 107, so from those examples can anyone tell me anything? I hate it that it's on her p.c. and that I don't know what to do about it. Any and all advice is welcome. And please explain in mildly simple terms. Thanks in advance for your help!

Most sincerely,
CommMajor101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:55 AM

Hi CommMajor101.

Sounds a bit strange and you are right to be concerned. Can you tell me the name of this orange box program - ie SpyFalcon etc...

David

#3 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:28 AM

I wish I could tell you the program. It would a lot easier to research. My concern is that one of the spywares that are being detected is also allowing this orange box appear. Any ideas? Or any tips on how to research this? All I get are hikack logs when I google these things.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:36 AM

Beware of pop-ups that pretend to find problems and then want you to purchase their program to get rid of them. The examples you provide appear to be cookies, one of the milder of security irritants
This kind of scam is all-too-prevalent.
There are many very reputable- - -and FREE---applications that work; see the list here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Download, install, update, and then run both Spybot and Ad-AwareSE; these two will get rid of almost all spyware and adware on your Mom's PC. Be sure to show her how to update and run both of these and tell her to do so on a regular basis (at least once a week).
Also be sure her anti-virus has the latest definitions and have it do a thorough scan of her hard drive.
Run all of these in "safe mode."

If there is malware found that cannot be deleted by these programs, then following the instructions below and provide our volunteer team of experts with a HJT log which will allow them to work with you to resolve any outstanding problems:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

Wow, thanks John. I'll post a reply that states whether or not this was affective.

#6 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

How do you run a computer in safe mode?

#7 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

Never mind the last post

#8 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:11 AM

Ok, so I went to Spybot and it seems a little shadey. I'm hesitant to download this one. Also, what do I do when I download Ad-Aware SE? Do I download the personal addition? Do I click save or run? How do I update it after I've downloaded it? The advertisement that comes up on my mom's PC says "You have got 107 spywares on your system Click here to get rid of them." Then you can either Buy, Exit, or Scan again. If you exit it still takes you to the web page to buy whatever program it is. It's so stupid. Any other info will be helpful. Thanks!

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:32 AM

Do I click save or run?

Save. This will allow you to select a location on your computer where to download the program to. Then you can navigate to this location and click on the download in order to start the installation process.

Tutorial on how to use Ad-Aware found HERE.

Tutorial on how to use SpyBot found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

Ok I have some names of the programs this virus is listing. They are: 2o7, Ad-Logics, Adopt.Hotbar, Ads.enliven, Ads.SpecificPop, and AdServer. Any ideas?

#11 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

What do you mean by this virus is listing? Do you mean that you're infected with those viruses or the popup is saying you're infected with those viruses?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#12 CommMajor101

CommMajor101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

Yes, the pop up is saying my mom's PC has those viruses.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,059 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

After running your scans with both Ad-aware and Spybot per the tutorials, do this:

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions

When done, perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan [ActiveScan Panda does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms.]
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users