Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton NIS,Updated, System acting weird

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Hi All,
Here I am, back to bug you again. Since the Norton Internet Security Update, I was having all types of issues, I have been
running a lot slower than usual, last night I ran a Free Malwarebytes free program, it showed no issues. There was a Norton error screen popping up with a Norton error 3048 showing up. Norton scanner showed nothing.

TODAY, I went back on Norton's website, checking around, trying to find a live person, first I went thru Norton Forums for NIS, and saw a lot of complaints about the update, including how it slowed computers down to this error showing up. I went to an an Automatic support window, and after some stupid interaction about this dummy, I got que'd up to a real person, waited 25 minutes and a lady came on, read my interaction with dummie, she said she could fix it, so , I let her go in and watched as she cleared out some stuff. After about 20 minutes, she said it was fixed, so I said thanks and got the computer back.

I ran a Secunia scan and it showed windows unstable, needing update, so, I switched to Windows and sure enough ,there were some needed microsoft updates, I updated the Oct. updates. Rebooted and ,computer seemed better. The Secunia PSI won't scan now, I'm wondering why? It has always scanned before. I am going to try rebooting again, since I did not have to after Microsft updates.

That's the info, Gmail working better.
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

After about 20 minutes, she said it was fixed

Hi -
Personally I find this a long time for a Qualified company Remote Viewer operator to spend on your computer -

Personally I would just Uninstall Norton and use the directions listed below (Read First), then if you want to, Reinstall the same version of the program >>>>

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. Before you continue, make sure that you have the installation CDs or downloaded installation files for any Norton products that you want to reinstall. If you have pcAnywhere or WinFAX, uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs before running the Norton Removal Tool. Also, if you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases and uninstall those products.
1.Download the Norton Removal Tool. Save the file to the Windows desktop. DOWNLOAD
2.On the Windows desktop, double-click the Norton Removal Tool icon.
3.Follow the on-screen instructions.
4.Restart the computer.

Your computer may be restarted more than once, and you are provided the instructions on how to reinstall your Norton product. After you reinstall your Norton product, run LiveUpdate and install all the available updates. Run LiveUpdate again until there are no updates available, and then restart the computer.

Thanks -

EXTRA - What version of Secunia are you using (3) ?? Some people have found the earlier version is better - Just a personal -

Edited by noknojon, 10 October 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#3 Cduggin4949

Cduggin4949

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

If the route you want to take is to use the Norton Uninstaller instead of something like Revo, be sure that you really uninstalled the whole thing, i.e. legacy files. It has been my personal experience that vendor provided antivirus uninstalls are less than adequate For safety measures I would suggest using AppRemover (www.com) to scan your system and identify the security applications you have running, if Norton fails to uninstall completely you are going to be right where you started

Edited by Cduggin4949, 11 October 2012 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users