Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply short and Hard Drive failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 qtaqq

qtaqq

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:00 AM

Last week after successfully inserting ddr2 backwards into a slot on the mother board, I powered up the computer and heard what I thought was a cable rubbing on the cpu fan and then after I seen smoke I turned off the power supply (I know it should be impossible but somehow I managed to do it.) The power supply shorted out and ruined the mother board. After the carnage I looked at the mother board with a flash light (something I should have used instead of trying to work in poor lighting) I wondered if I had a piece of metal or cable laying across the mother board but all I had was the memory stick fully seated backwards and clipped down in the slot. I had a shop in town check it and the cpu was still good and surprisingly so was the memory even the backwards stick. I thought the hardrive would be fine since the short only ruined the mother board and power supply. While checking the hard drive on another system it cannot be found. On boot up I can feel it spin up and it seems to spin at an idle as well. My question is how much damage do you think the short did to the hard drive, would just replacing the board on the drive work? The drive is a ST31000528AS Seagate Barracuda 1tb Sata 7200 RPM with 32MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phoenix102

Phoenix102

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hi qtaqq,

Where are you checking for the drive to show up? Have you looked in BIOS to see if it appears there?

When the hard drive spins up can you hear the heads move? Put your ear to the drive and listen. You can remove the circuit board from the drive and in a well lit room look for visible signs of damage (burned components, burn marks on the board).

Replacing the circuit board on the drive might work. The problem is you must match the board exactly. This not only means the same model drive but the same board layout and firmware. When drives are manufactured the companies are constantly updating the firmware (it can be twice in one week) and sometimes change the circuit board layout. You need an exact match. When I run into bad drives and need a donor board I photocopy the circuit board front and back and the front of the drive, then send the pictures to my suppliers for a match. If I get lucky I'll find one. I have had to unsolder the surface mount firmware chip from the old board to solder it on the new one to recover the drive and extract the data.

Let me know what you find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users